Is sending a professor a thank you email weird?

My professor wasn’t nice at all but he was very wise and i feel like i actually learned a lot from his class and i appreciated that, so I sent him a thank you email after the class was over and even after the final grades were posted. I waited till the final grades were uploaded so that he wouldn’t feel like i was trying to bribe him to give me a good grade or anything. I’m also not taking any other college class with him or anything, I genuinely did it because I appreciated the class but he never said anything back. I know that i shouldn’t expect anything back, but now i’m kind of embarrassed for sending that and feel like i made myself look like a fool for sending that email. Do professors find it weird when a student thanks them? Should I not do that again?

There is nothing weird about it at all. It is a polite and gracious thing to do. He probably gets very few thank you notes, so he will be really happy to get yours, and he will remember you in a good way. 

Not at all. I think he'll appreciate it. 

• fcas80

I think what you did is just fine and is very much appreciated.  He will remember your kind letter for a long time.

Many people won’t send a thank you for your thank you.  

No it is not weird or inappropriate.   I am sure they appreciate it.

• Lili

It's fine. I receive a fair number of thank-yous from students. I always appreciate them.

well done.  maybe people like you will mellow him out yet

• MS

I appreciate getting a message like that from students, and I always respond.  I think it's perfectly fine, and very kind of you.