Anonymous

20 hours a week of working at job while being full time student?

Is 20 hours too much? or just about good you think? I'm taking 15 credits, (full time student.)

• April
    Favorite Answer

A lot of it depends on scheduling. You could always just use the weekdays to focus on school and work weekends.

Usually campus jobs are the best route to go. They only let you work 10-15 hours/week.

Yes you an do it just request off on days you have to study or have exams.

Five classes (15 units) plus 20 hours is probably quite a bit, but if you can somehow do the classes two days a week and the work spread out over days with weekends or two other days free, I don't see why it would not be doable.  

• H

Best to see how you do with the classes itself first. You paid for it. No reason to overwork yourself only to fail. Go without a job for one semester then make your choice based on how you did.

Assuming you are a freshman.

That's a lot but whether or not it is "too much" depends on you and both your academic and work schedules.  Things to consider:

1. Are you a freshman?  If so, limit work until you know how well you are doing academically.  College is a major change from high school.

2. If you aren't a freshman, how much have you worked during school in the past and how good are your grades?  

3. How essential is the income from work?  Do you the the option of working less and or dropping of a class if things get to be too much?

4. Are you work hours consistent or will you schedule change week-to-week?  How with that schedule interfere with either attending classes, study time, sections, labs, etc.?

5. Is your employer flexible if you need to decrease your hours during heavy academic load?

6. How flexible is your academic schedule, will you be attending in-person, doing remote learning with recorded lectures, a combination, or??

As a college student, your goal needs to be mastery of the content and good grades.There's little point in going to college if you aren't going to learn the most you can.  If you need to work 20 hours/week, you probably should look at decreasing your academic load.  If you want/need to take 15 hours, then consider decreasing your work load.  

More info.

Are you an incoming freshman?  If so, 20 hours per week is too much. 

You will be in the classroom 15 hours per week and have 30 to 45 hours of study time per week. 

You need to see how you handle college level work.  Start out at 10 Hours of work per week. 

• Robert

Everyone is different.   It is up to you to decide how much you can handle, how much of your social activity you will give up for work and study and how much you need the money.

If you're starting freshman year, or just beginning full-time study, I would advise against taking any job (aside from federal work-study) if you can possibly manage it. Just take a full credit course load (15 credits) both semesters.

If you find at the end of the year (two full semesters) that you are getting the grades you want, with time to eat, sleep and socialize in the amounts that you want, with time to spare, then consider taking on a part-time job. 

If you're a sophomore or beyond (and not new to a full-time cause schedule: at least two semesters), or simply must take a part-time job to meet expenses, then 20 hours a week should be doable for most people. 

20 hours should be the maximum limit if you have a full-time course schedule, not 20 plus maybe a few more now and then when someone else doesn't show up. And that 20 should include, not be in addition to, any federal work-study job you might have. 

If at all possible, I recommend that full-time students do not work during the school year.  When I was in college, I worked full-time during the summer months, and saved just about everything to use when college was in session.  I was also on work-study my last 2 years, but my job as an RA fit perfectly into my study schedule.  Of course, I was in college many years ago, and decades of creeping inflation have made my situation more difficult to duplicate.