Why are my ears popping so much?

I live in the flat lands of Illinois, but I go to college where there are a lot of hills.

My ears always pop on the way there, and my freshman year nothing seemed abnormal: my ears would pop when I went up or down a big hill and that was it. 

When I started my sophomore year, my ears started popping a LOT. They didn't just pop when we went up big hills. They popped all the time even when I was just sitting in my room. When I say pop, I mean any time I opened my mouth there was a crackling sound, and sometimes a big pop. It was always in my left ear, never my right. I saw a nurse and she gave me decongestants but it didn't help. I got a stuffy nose one day and I blew my nose and it felt like it clogged my left ear. That night I got a really bad fever. I eventually completely lost hearing in my left ear. My nose got stuffier and I was blowing out excessive amounts of blood and mucus. I went to the doctor, and they gave me antibiotics for an ear infection. I got my hearing back, the swelling in my ear went down and the popping totally stopped. Fast forward to this week- I went to tour an apartment after having lived at home in Illinois for 6 months because of school being cancelled. I was in the town for maybe 4 hours and now I'm back home, and the popping in my left ear started again. It's just like before- any time I open my mouth it crackles and pops, even when I'm not moving or changing altitudes. Can someone please help me figure out what's wrong with me? Thanks in advance!

There are no answers yet.
Be the first to answer this question.