32-year-old man going back to university?

I used to work in the oil and gas company since I graduated from university. When the recession hits I held my breath for several years laying low. Finally, in 2019 I got laid off. I want to go back to university again to get another engineering degree. I'm 32 years old. I'm not confident about my learning abilities since I passed 30. there are lots of insecurities and doubts in my heart.

What do you guys think? Does age matter?

You are very far from the first person to have gone to university a good 15 or 20 years - or MORE - than most of their classmates. It simply isn't a big deal.

I certainly hope age doesn't matter.  I mean, if you were 55+ you might not be able to get into a field that you could work 20 years in and earn a retirement in, so if you were much, much older, then I would say only do it for yourself, if it interests you and not for a career.

I started my undergraduate at 29, graduated at 33. The great recession f'd me and I have worked in retail for the past 9 years. 

I'm 43 now and starting grad school in 2 weeks.  Something engineering related.  My learning abilities probably aren't as great as they were 10+ years ago.  But then again they weren't at their peak when I was 29-33, and I graduated with a 3.7 GPA.

32 is young. You can do it. 

I'm hoping to get my graduate degree 2 years from now, and get a career job I can work from age 45-65.  If I were even a few years older, I might be taking something very different or not going back to school at all.

I might be, might be, at the point of no return in 2 years when I finish my 2nd degree.

At your age, you certainly are no where near it.

Eat healthy, get plenty of sleep, take supplements if you need to, stay hydrated, avoid alcohol, tobacco, and drugs, and your brain will be able to bounce back.  I did all that the first time I went to college after years of abusing my brain and body, and I'm already doing it again in preparation for this fall's classes. 

You have the ability to regain your learning ability.  Start challenging your mind now.  Get your textbooks early and start reading them before classes begin.

Like I said - you CAN do this!

if you are planning to continue in the field work,additional or master's

degree will not be of much help.

if you are planning to move to desk bound design or management executive

responsibility then even masters may not be preferable to MBA or such.

MBA  needs more of application of knowledge and nimble movements while

taking decisions.

you are at the right age to change even the line of employment.

devoting too much life to technical job is not rewarding.

counting money and saving is more fruitful than making money.

good luck

I'm 38 and getting my third master's degree.  A master's in engineering is usually only around 40-45 units.  If you take three classes a semester, that's about only about five semesters, or just over a year to a year and a half.  What would keep you from doing it?

No, not at all. I'm 26, and going make to school. I think the only had part with age is retaining the information as opposed to grasping it. I'm happy for you. You're gonna do fine. I mean you will be one of the oldest ones in your class, but who cares. You're there for a purpose just like the rest.

I had multiple people in some of my college courses who were 40-60! There is no age limit for gaining an education. It actually shows strength that you are still motivated to finish your education... also, 32 isn't even considered old... (I'm 28 and still in college, finishing up my last two years of my BA.)

Go for it.

• Expat

Look, age will only help you! I was in my late 20s when I went back to complete my undergraduate. I was in my mid 30s when I again went back to do a MA and later again 40 when I started my PhD. Age won't hurt you. I'm a professor now, and always happy to have older students in my classes. You'll do great! Good luck! 

It certainly can be done.  I returned to college in my early 30s, in a mid-life career switch.  

On a different note, though, I'm not sure getting a second engineering degree would increase your marketability.  Be sure you have a plan before restarting.

Not in your early 30s, for Pete's sake. Nothing would change noticeably until middle age at least.

Even then, while memorization ability does decrease, older people actually become better at understanding patterns. So while you might have more trouble memorizing rote facts than a young person, it's actually easier for you to apply your knowledge. Not to mention mature students are more likely to be more interested in actually learning than partying and finding dates. 

I had no trouble, in my 40's, keeping at the top of the class when I took credit classes at a local college (psychology, statistics, engineering calculus). It was touch and go in Calculus 241, when a bright high school dual enrollment student was taking the top grades for a while, but then he started skipping the second half of class to watch some TV show, and his grades started slipping. 

No. A woman in her 90s in Italy just graduated. If she can do it then why can’t you.