Regarding earthing setup for my desktop?

Hi all, I have question regarding earthing issue for my desktop. I reside in South Delhi, India. I have a heavy gaming desktop with power supplier 550W (SMPS). Earlier there was no earthing system in my room electric cabling, only main and neutral is there in switchboard, so my cabinet back panel always released current on touching and once my hardisk also get damaged which technician said due to non earthing of the system, the extra current keeps flowing in the device components and damaging the hardwares. So I immediately called an electrician to resolve the earthing issue, he connected the earthing from my pc switchboard to earthing wire provided by BSES meter outside my door, after that the cabinet back panel never released any current (like earlier it do without earthing).

Now I have shifted to other colony where there is no earthing system provided by govt., neither any earthing system is installed separately in the building. So, after consulting with electrician, he suggested to connect the earth point with the neutral and that will work fine (if there is no leakage). He means inside the switchboard, connect the earth port to neutral with a small wire and then all the extra current will move from earth point to neutral and my pc will never release any current and the components will be safe. So my question is, will this work and is it safe to do so ?

• Vaman

I suggest that you try this. It may work. Normally water taps act very good earthing point. Connect to the water tap. If not, take a flower pot. Put a tree and take a aluminum plate. Make a hole in the center and connect the wire. Put this at the bottom and fill it with mud and make it very wet. Put a cup of salt. Your computer will have a screw some where. Loosen that and connect the the other end to the screw after removing  rubber coating and screw it back. Since the leakage current is weak, this may work as good grounding.  You can put the flower pot near your table. Tell me whether it worked or not.

If you are near the window and ground floor, take the wire mentioned above through window and ground it. See that the wire is inside the earth and you need to put a mug of water.

Your best bet would be to install (or have someone install) a GFCI type outlet (the kind you sometimes see in kitchens or bathrooms that have a trip reset button on them).  This will protect you from electric shock due to having an ungrounded system.

To protect the computer itself, you should install a surge protector (not just a power strip - but an actual surge protection device).

You are very confused!

• Jim

Maybe it is safe to use the neutral wire. That is common in older homes in the USA. However, This might not be safe for you, it's unknown.

If you could check in the power panel, you could see if the neutral is already sent to the ground, then you would know. Many times it already is that way.

However, most computers do not need a true ground to work well.

Thanks all for the help. No we have all PVC pipes here and it is multistory flat so no option to plant a earthing from ground. The electrician has done the same, means he connected the earth point to the neutral and the desktop back panel is not releasing any current now. Hope it is working fine then.

1. are staying in a single storied or multi storied building?

2.is you cold water plumbing is of GI pipe or PVC pipe?

3.if you are staying in a individual building

create your own earthing by driving a 1 m pipe into the ground

like you plant, a plant,fill it up with charcoal and salt mixture(1 kg) water it

and connect the pipe anything that needs earthing,computer,mixer,electric iron/press,washing machine etc.

as Philomel said metallic water pipe is also a good earthing point.

to an extent,electricians suggestion is also valid.but  it is best to

have a separate earth point.

Most of the present day computers have an isolation transformer in the Pwr. Supply. They don't need to be grounded. Lap tops and desktops are made the same and can't be grounded.

Do not worry about it. The thing to concern yourself with is that the wall plug has a transient filter. Use a several socket drop box between the wall and the computer to filter out power spikes. There is one in the computer but two is better.

• qrk

Without knowing if your neutral wire is properly connected to planet earth, hard to say. If you have a voltmeter, you can try measure the voltage from the neutral to a cold water pipe. If you read zero volts, then the electrician's suggestion is valid.

In circuit breaker panels, neutral is normally connected to earth ground in the circuit breaker panel.