How do you add detergent to top loading washer machine that stops filling water whenever lid is open?

I used to have a regular washer, I would set it to start a load and it would start filling with water. I would then add liquid detergent as it was filling. I would use the pouring water to rinse the cap. Then once it was a quarter Full I would add the clothes.Now where I live, I have a stacked combo unit. The washer stops filling water whenever the lid is open. I want to be able to pour liquid detergent as the water is filling in. what's a better way to add detergent? 

• L

I have a top load washer (thank goodness).  I load the washer with clothes, add the detergent and then close the lid.  

The old washers...........you could open the lid at anytime and everything would continue to wash but the new ones have 'safety' features and you just can't open the lid without the washer stopping.

You can always switch to pods. Pods are lighter and easier to use. I used to make my own detergent but was out of the materials and pick up a small bag of Tide Pods and these were so easy I just kept using them. I also use Oxi Clen pods on white clothes. The only liquid I still use is Woolite Dark for dark clothes and I don't need to use this too often.

there a " pre wash " button ? I in apt with washer/dryer...  My clothes' not always smelling good but I try...

• Edwena

On ours, the door locks.  So you have to add the detergent at the time you put in the dirty clothes.  If it is a liquid detergent, there is a dispenser that is filled and water is circulated through it to carry the detergent to the wash water in the tub. There is also a liquid bleach dispenser that works the same way.  But, now the new soap is the Tide pod and we just use one pod for a regular wash and 2 pods for a big load. Put it in the washer with the dirty clothes and turn on the machine.  It is excellent detergent.

It really doesn't make any difference when you put in the detergent so just put it in when you want to. You can always rinse the lid once the washer is full. How much detergent you use is really not critical so I just skip the lid measurement and pour in a bit and forget about it. Has worked just fine every since liquid detergents came out.

All washers do that now unless you disable that 'feature'. Put the detergent in first, which is what is actually recommended. Or pour it on top of the dry clothes before you turn the washer on. Or open the machine, add it part way through the fill, close the machine. I do all three and don't find it makes any difference which way I do it. The liquid detergents I have used have a kind of cap that drains back into the bottle after the cap is back on the bottle. I thought they all had that. It means there is no need to rinse the cap because the detergent doesn't dribble down the bottle.

There is a small rubber tube that shuts off the water when full of water, inside the washing machine.

Use a wash ball. Put liquid in a ball (supplied with the liquid) as you are putting in clothes.

Start washer, wait one minute.  Open and pour detergent.  Close lid and wait 30 seconds.  Rinse cup in tub.  Close lid, wait 10 seconds.  Open lid and put clothes.

Pour  it in after it has filled partially, it only stops temporarily and it starts up again. You can rinse your cup in the water already in the drum