If high blood pressure runs in your family, do you have to watch your salt intake?

5 Answers

  • 2 months ago

    it could not hurt. check with your doctor to be safe.

  • 2 months ago

    The body was designed to maintain itself, provided it is given the proper nutrients to do so.

    One of the common misconceptions is about salt.

    The idiot who mentioned 99% water and 1% salt is trying to ridicule me.

    He (as well as most of the medical profession) has no idea about the functions of water in the body and even less knowledge of the relationship between salt and water.

    Every function in the body is tied to water - water is the most important nutrient because it regulates all of the functions. The next most important nutrient is salt - for one reason, salt is an electrolyte and is vital in the function of hydrolysis - which produces energy at the cellular level.

    The body has no storage bins to save nutrients for future use - and thus it uses whatever nutrients it needs when supplied from food, and discards the rest - what it doesn't need.

    It does this with salt, as well.

    It's true we get too much salt in processed foods - but the body STILL discards what it doesn't need.

    This brings us to the claim that "too much salt causes high blood pressure". This is absolutely FALSE.

    If the body discards whatever nutrients it doesn't need, then it's a natural assumption (based on the laws of physics) that if it retains salt - THEN IT MUST NEED IT.

    The medical profession's theory on high blood pressure is that "too much salt retains too much water - which pushes against the vessel walls with too much pressure".

    The problem you have is "the salt".

    The reason the body retains salt is that people don't drink the water they should, and so salt absorbs water from food. It does this to protect the cells from damage due to chronic dehydration.

    So, if the "excess salt" is holding too much water in the vessels - where is all of this water coming from?

    If there was that much water in the body, there would be no need for the "excess salt" in the first place - which translates to "there would be no high blood pressure".

    This can be verified in a couple of ways.

    1) Based on the law of physics, if you remove the cause of a health problem there is no reason for that problem to exist. Consequently, if "salt" is the culprit that causes high blood pressure, and you avoid salt as advised by the medical profession, then the blood pressure should correct itself on its own - there should be no need for medication.

    Yet, medication is usually prescribed anyway. Thus, the person is still experiencing high blood pressure in spite of eliminating the cause - and this is against the laws of physics.

    2) Another way to verify that the medical profession's theory of high blood pressure is wrong is by simply observing a drop of blood from a fingertip.

    If you're not on medications (blood thinners, eg) you can get an idea of how dehydrated you are simply by looking at the color and the viscosity of the blood.

    A properly hydrated person's blood will have watery consistency and be rather a bright color red. Dehydration will show a darker color and much thicker.

    A stated, blood is normally around 90% water. Thicker blood indicates that you're not drinking enough water.

    You can check this out for yourself in the privacy of your own home - verify what I'm saying. No one would call you a "fool" if it turned out to be wrong - if you don't tell anyone.

    And it's perfectly safe to do - even if you're taking any kind of medication.

    I don't have any kind of ulterior motive for sharing this. I make nothing from it, there's nothing to buy, and you have everything to gain. It's a win-win situation for you.

  • Anonymous
    2 months ago

    Since your blood is 99.9% water & the other 0.1% is salt, if you drink gallons & gallons of water & eat bags & bags of salt, all your problems will be solved.

  • 2 months ago

    Sodium is an essential electrolyte. If your BP is in the normal range for your age and health conditions, there's no need. Excessive salt intake is unhealthy for everyone. However, a ZERO (or almost zero) salt "diet" is definitely very dangerous. 

  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 2 months ago

    Its a good idea even without a genetic predisposition.  At the very least get it checked regularly by your doctor or even a BP monitor.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.