Is it Appropriation to Wear a Kimono?

I've always loved Japanese culture ever since my mom bought me Japanese films as a kid. I love many aspects about the fashion especially and have tried to educate myself about the details of the culture as well as supporting Asian businesses in my community. My question is, as a Black American would it be appropriation to wear a kimono? Are there any fashion items similar that would give the same aesthetic without being offensive if so?

I think it depends on the type of kimono, like if it’s like a traditional one it might be deemed inappropriate but in some places they sell ones for fashion (which don’t look like traditional ones as such) and I don’t see a problem with those. 

I dont think it would be considered appropriation or offensive. I remember seeing a video where people of all ages were interviewed in Japan on their opinions relating to this topic and they said that they actually just appreciate when people wear the kimono and find it beautiful. 

You can be certain that some people will claim to be offended. And they might not even be Japanese. Others, like myself, will see no reason on earth why ANYONE shouldn't enjoy wearing the clothes of ANY other culture. Obviously it would be rude to do so in a mocking way, but it's obvious you don't plan that at all.

Personally i think "cultural appropriation" is nonsense. I have Japanese male friends who wear a kilt to perform Scottish dancing, and everyone just applauds them. Nobody whines about how they're "stealing" anything from Scotland.If you DO decide to wear a kimono, do it with conviction and don't apologise.

Ask yourself, what goes thru your mind when you see a white person wearing a dashiki or other traditional African garb? In most cases, it looks phony, pretentious and is highly inappropriate.

I dunno. Some ethnic purists prefer to see only their own race in their own ethnic attire. So... I think you should only wear it when participating in Jap functions.

I've worn one once for Halloween and got no complaints. However, my own race is particular about seeing our ethnic dresses on other races. 

It's seen as mockery or stealing.