Why am I finding so many earwigs in my home? ?

I live on the second floor of an apartment building and I have been seeing earwigs every day, usually  just one or two. I don’t understand why because my apartment is very cold, below 68 (my boyfriend’s wishes) and dry. I typically find them in my bathroom but I have spotted a couple on my kitchen floor. I honestly don’t have a problem with killing insects but earwigs are just so ugly to be doing this so often. What is the cause of them being in my apartment? I do plan on notifying my landlord as soon as I can. Until then though, does anyone have any tips on preventing them from entering my home? I am starting to use the plugs on my drains and what not, as I’m suspicious that’s where they’re coming from. 

The two times when we had earwigs in the house were both associated with slow water leaks.  One was a kitchen sink drain pipe that had cracked inside a wall, and the other was a failed wax ring on a toilet.  When the moisture is goine, the earwigs disappear, too.  Since it appears that your apartment is dry, it might be a neighbor that has a leak.

In the garden, earwigs are easily knocked down with something like Corry's Slug and Snail Death, but I don't know if that's safe for indoor use.

You need to check for decaying or dead foliage, wood or other organic matter near your home. Earwigs are harmless to humans, despite how they look, but they are attracted to brush piles, dead wood, rotting branches or leaves or any other organic vegetable matter that is close to your home. They are not wood EATERS--like termites--they won't damage the INSIDE of your house--but they will crawl in to breed or to nest. Just chopping back or clearing any large brush piles, tree branches, foliage or cardboard or wood next to the building will do the trick to get rid of them inside. 

They are not a good sign, especially on a second floor.

• y

Earwigs are drawn to wet, moist wood, if you have them, then you probably have rot or at least a leak, keeping wood moist somewhere. They are not a good sign, especially on a second floor.

• A

They are coming in from outdoors,  here is a home remedy to kill them

Pour equal parts soy sauce and olive or vegetable oil in a plastic container. Make holes in the lid that are about 0.25 inches (0.64 cm) in diameter and cover the plastic container. The smell of the mixture will attract the earwigs and they'll crawl in and drown.

Not sure how they are doing it but it sure has been a banner year for the ugly little bastards. They seem to be everywhere. Ant killer works pretty good for exterminating them.