how to make money selling art online?

I can do anything..  i paint, draw, woodburn, crochet, watercolor, sew...

I want to make it my career but I can't seem to find the right way to make decent money doing so..

Any pointers?

SELL ART ONLINE YA DUM DUM 

LOCKED.

Source(s): 90
  • L

One of my nephew's wife painted and sold then on ebay.  She sold enough for them to take a trip to Hawaii for a vacation.

I've heard of people who make drawings of (specific) houses. It makes a nice housewarming present. Would sell good on Etsy.

Take a picture of someone's dog... paint, draw, woodburn, crochet, watercolor, or sew its likeness... give it to them for free but get their email (accept any money they might offer)...

Repeat with other people...

During the holidays (xmas, Valentines, 4th of July, etc) email all the people on your list and offer them coffee cups, plates, tshirts, ornaments or whatever you come up with that has the personalized art you created for them... Ask them to pay you what they think is fair.. 

do some portfolio then post it to your social media accounts to spread the art you done

I made two Christening dresses for my son’s god mother. She paid for the fabric and I made them at no charge. They were beautiful. Nothing you could find in a store. My mother said why not make some to sell. . By the time I add up the time spent making them, Plus  the silk and other materials, My equipment and training and expertise there would be few people willing or able to pay what I would charge. I wouldn’t work for $10 an hour. 

My co-worker’s husband started selling hand carved wood marine life.  He got a commission  from a company for 30 - two different sized dolphins. He almost killed himself getting the order out in a time.  My friend ended up quitting her part time job to help him. Just wrapping them  and boxing them up took a lot of time.  Plus he had other individual orders too.  He started on Etsy. 

So you may find working on your own and getting busy creates problems.   

Realize this doesn’t give you health insurance or any kind of benefits. You need to pull your taxes out of what you make and set it aside.

I agree with try to network with other artists.  You will really Learn something for others who are experienced at selling their art.

Start by building a social media following

If you've never heard the term 'starving artist', learn it now.  Some of the world's most famous artists didn't become famous until after they were dead. Not trying to discourage you, just stating fact.  Art is a luxury for a majority of people, especially now, with businesses struggling to survive and many people not working.  Art requires extra money people don't have.  You can find art all over eBay and Etsy that sells for far less than the cost of materials an artist put into it, never mind their time and talent. You need to somehow find what people want and will buy and concentrate on that, and for many artists, doing that turns their stomachs, it feels like selling out, they want to make the art that THEY want to make. So many of them work doing other things to pay the bills while they make the art that pleases them, and some of them find a market and some of them don't...

Some artists will take part in artists' workshops, where they get to know other artists, and they can collectively spread the word about what they're doing.  Try that. Join some local artists' groups. Start networking.  Networking works in other field of work.

Get a website in GoDaddy.

I understand that Furries will pay top money for commissioned artwork. The kind that will scar you for life.