Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsSingles & Dating · 3 weeks ago

Dating a sex offender?

I met this guy who is extremely sweet and super caring a while ago. We became friends and soon I began to have feelings for him, and he seemed to reciprocate those feelings as well.

I had asked him if he would be okay with me calling him my boyfriend, in which he got silent. Then he responded by telling me that he's afraid of scaring me away because of his past. I was confused, but then he began to unravel everything about his past and the fact that he's a registered sex offender. He told me absolutely everything, he showed me his registration online, and he showed me the news articles, etc. He was so open about it. It was a lot to take in. That incident happened almost 10 years ago now, and he hasn't done anything since then. And that past incident was due to these two girls lying about their ages. He then got quite again, assuming that I was going to kick him out right then and there. But I didn't. I hugged him. But I've never dated a sex offender before, I know his life his super hard because of his record. All he does now is go to work, then he comes home to sleep. He is honestly so afraid to do anything because he's afraid of being shunned. I believe the registration is almost up, but I'm not sure how that works. 

He just seems so sweet, and he's just a goofy guy who wants to just relax at home and play his guitar. I've known him for a long while now, and he seems like a normal guy. My dog even likes him, and he doesn't like many people. What do ya'll think?

I urinated in public and I was registered as a sex offender. Everyone thinks I'm a type of rapist or something. It doesn't mean he is a bad guy same with me.  

I only despise the pedophiles and rapists. I don't hate statutory rapists. Some of these 16 and 17 year old girls do look of age and it can be hard to be sure sometimes without checking their ID's. And girls are sexually active at that age so if they wanna have sex with you, they probably will lie about their age. I'm not putting guys who get caught up in that in the same category as the nasty sexual offenders. He probably isn't a bad guy. I've had 17 year olds try and hook up with me and if I didn't know for a fact she was underaged I probably would have hooked up with her. I'd give him a chance.

Well maybe he has changed, and I believe you should give people second chances, but I would definitely TAKE IT SLOW. Realize that at any time, you can back out. I'm not telling you, you can't give it a try. He was honest. If he didn't tell you, and you found out, now that would be an issue. Just be careful and use common sense.