Why do some students graduate with so much debt??? That hasn't been the case for me?

So I'm a new college student and aside from qualifying for Pell Grants, I've gotten like 15,000 dollars in scholarship money. And I've only applied for a few scholarships. There are thousands out there that students can apply for. I just don't get how non-medical/law students get stuck with like 50,000 debt.

Granted, I'm going to a two-year school which is cheap and transfering to a four-year.

So I mean, is it really THAT important for a person to go straight to a four-year?

It's just more money they have to spend.

Until college costs come down, I really don't think it's smart to go straight to a four-year university unless you can personally afford it.

MS student debt is a huge problem in this country. Even students who apply to non-expensive four-year universities find themselves swimming in debt. Some of my friends even. I believe in personal responsibility.  If you take out a loan, pay it back. Our system is jacked and college should be affordable of course. But students need to educate themselves on resources that are available which can make college cheaper.

Favorite Answer

Because their families are poor enough to qualify for significant financial aid, like Pell grants, and the student isn't academically strong enough to qualify for a merit-based scholarship.  As a result, the only way to pay for a college education is to take out student loans.

There are hundreds of thousands of families that make too much money to qualify for FAFSA aid but don't have the $20-$70K a year to pay towards a college education.

• MS

Not everyone has access to the resources you do.

Not everyone qualifies for all of those funds and scholarships.

Not everyone has a 2-year school near them.

Not every 4-year school is expensive (some are cheaper than 2-year schools).

Sometimes your progress through a program can be delayed by starting at a 2-year school because the program requirements begin in your freshman or sophomore years.

And sometimes, not everyone is responsible with their money and spending.

EDIT: I didn't say it wasn't a big problem.  But a 2-year school is not the answer to everyone's debt problems.  And many students at my reasonably priced 4-year university get through with grants, scholarships, and work - no debt involved. Some people absolutely get in loan trouble, but many are able to be responsible.  For some, loans are the only way they can do it.

You're assuming that all other people have the resources, know-how, and talent to receive the same money you did. Some people cannot get grants or scholarships because they don't qualify, or even when they do aren't talented enough to "win" that money. Often scholarships are presented as a competition for the prize to the students applying. I agree lots of money goes unspoken for. But even if a stent is talented and smart, they may not have access to the internet on a regular basis to apply for those grants, much less even do the research to find them. Being able to apply for scholarships to school is a privilege.