Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationMaintenance & Repairs · 1 month ago

Driving 2,000 miles on 2 misfiring Cylinders  ?

I’m driving home not for leisure, but to return from something important. I have a car at my home. I’m not asking will my car get totaled if I drive on 2 Cylinders, I’m just asking WILL the car make IT. I want to junk the car after I return home anyways. Will my car make this trip driving 60mph steadily 

11 Answers

Relevance
  • 3 weeks ago

Throw a set of spark plugs in it before the trip.

• Anonymous
    4 weeks ago

It's recommended that spark plugs and/or coils should be replaced before you go that long trip because it can cause damage to the engine. 

• fuzzy
    Lv 6
    4 weeks ago

wont do 60 mph, probably fail enroute. The cost of getting the other 2 cylinders working (if it's only plugs or leads) will be way less then the extra fuel you'll use driving it as it is.

• 4 weeks ago

I want to junk the car after I return home anyways.

Save the headache and junk it where it is.

With 2 cylinders misfiring, you won't be reaching 60mph.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 month ago

No, not will not make a 2,000 mile trip with 2 cylinders misfiring. 

• 1 month ago

A 2,000 mile trip is pretty grueling even with a fully functional car - you would be better off to try to sell the car for scrap, buy a cheap plane ticket (and wear a mask).

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

If it is truly running on 2 cylinders it won't make it in my opinion. 2000 miles is a long way and you are incredibly stupid. The car will either die or you will do something stupid along the way to end the trip.

• 1 month ago

You can try it.  But buy an AAA membership.  They provide towing.

• not
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Catalyst will fail. It will likely melt and seal off the exhaust. That will make the car very low on power and even stop running. This happens in hundreds of miles.

• 1 month ago

I keep feeling that your car is not in good shape besides the 2 bad cylinders. 

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.