HELP how fire can I drive my car with misfiring cylinders?

My Honda Civic is misfiring on 2 cylinders for no reason . I need to drive 2,000 miles theres no choice. What’s gonna happen to my car

22 Answers

Relevance
  • 4 weeks ago

Your not going to make it past 100 miles .The misfire is causing raw ,unspent or basically a mist of sir and gasoline into your exhaust .As it goes through the exhaust it'll be intercepted by the catalytic converter. When in the catalytic converter The raw gasoline will destroy it internally .Causing more expensive damage A car these days.cant really be driven while misfiring even on 1 cylinder let alone 2.Basicalky you won't  make it out  of your home state .

• 4 weeks ago

Call a towtruck to take it to your mechanic if thats possible. I wouldn't risk any further damage that could potentially cost you a lot.

• lj1
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

If you really have no choice but to make the trip in your car, get it fixed first. The cause is most likely something simple like a bad spark plug wire or ignition coil. Whatever the problem is, your car will not make the trip in its current condition. If you try to make the trip without fixing it, engine damage will almost certainly occur, and you will be left stranded on the side of the highway.

If you can't fix your car before the trip, find an alternative mode of transportation (rental car, plane, train, etc). Otherwise, do what you have to do to get your car fixed. It will probably cost a few hundred dollars to fix the misfire, but that's way cheaper than ruining your engine. 

• 4 weeks ago

If you MUST drive 2000 miles and cannot possibly get your Civic fixed before you leave, then you will be renting a car.

Your choice is whether to rent a car before you leave, or to abandon your Civic on the side of the road wherever it breaks down and call an Uber to bring you to the nearest car rental agency

With 2 cylinders misfiring your engine will be badly out of balance and will shake itself to death. It also probably has no power - to the point you may not even be able to reach 60mph to drive on the freeway.

It is NOT misfiring "for no reason" - something is causing it. Most of the time is a fairly minor repair like installing new spark plugs, clean air filter, or clean fuel filter.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 4 weeks ago

I don't think you can drive that far with crazy vibration for losing 2 cylinders. It should be a simple fix. Take care of it by yourself or a pro will make your 2000 miles trip more enjoyable.

• Anonymous
    4 weeks ago

There's a reason why it's misfiring because it's either needs a new spark plugs and/or coil. 

• 4 weeks ago

UNTIL it no longer goes. There is no world wide standard number of inches a car misfiring will travel.

Good Luck may want to invest in a AAA membership.

• 4 weeks ago

How far? -As far as the shop to have it repaired. Trying to go much further than 20 miles will likely damage the catalytic converter, overheating it with raw fuel.

• 4 weeks ago

If it is misfiring on 2 cylinders, that probably does not leave much power, so anticipate a long slow trip.  It might save time to correct this issue before you leave 

One of the dangers is that you will be rear ended while only doing 40-50 on the freeway.     If there is a blown head gasket, there is always the danger that loss of coolant will destroy your engine.     Your 2 remaining cylinders will do the work of 4 and demand that much more gasoline.  The 2 misfiring cylinders will be getting that same amount of fuel and wasting it.  Gas mileage will go to hell.  

• Anonymous
    4 weeks ago

Well Sport, a month ago you reported that it was overheating, you wondered if frequently driving at 80+ mph hurt it,  that it  has very hard shifts at 3000 rpm . . . and now two cylinders are out.

Don't know what corrective action you've taken in the last month, but sort of sounds like you're coming to the End of the Trail soon . . .  I don't think it's a good idea to take it on a 2000 mile trip.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.