Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationMotorcycles · 3 weeks ago

Motorcyclists, do you get hit with pebbles?

I want to buy a scooter that has a top speed of 45mph, but my biggest fear is literally being hit with a pebble/rock in the face, eyes, or neck by a passing vehicle. Has this happened to you? For those who don't wear a helmet or face shield, has anyone been hit in the bare face?

Literally my biggest fears are:

1. Being hit in the eyes and going blind.

2. Being hit in the throat and having my voice be messed up permanently.

3. Being hit in the face and leaving a permanent dent in my face.

I mean, I can and WILL buy myself a helmet and a full-face shield, but what about getting hit in the neck/throat?

Serious answers please.

I also will NOT be riding on the highways, just regular streets. If that makes any difference?

• adam

Small pieces of stuff from garbage trucks sometimes hit me. Bugs are a bigger problem early in the morning. Theres nothing quite like riding through a swarm of white flies!

Reg. streets are swept and kept clean.  Your chances of winning the big lottery are better (even on a gravel road.) Actually getting hit in the head by a flying beetle is enough HURT. 45 is a child speed.  Try 60+.   

...If a rock came out of a vehicle tire it would be hitting you with the speed of a BULLET. (Mainly highway driving & they come off big truck tires)

- you will upgrade to a bigger and real motorcycle soon enough.

I've been hit with all kinds of debris over the years - including pebbles/gravel, countless insects (including cicadas), and one time a lit cigarette butt (that almost got someone beaten to death).

I highly recommend a full-face helmet - even for the low speed and surface streets you plan on riding.  I prefer a 'modular' helmet - where the entire faceshield flips up (not just the clear part).

It's also a good idea to get some decent gloves, and even if its a little warm out, I'll wear at least a lightweight jacket, jeans/pants, and some sturdy boots/shoes.

Where I live, we have mining & other trucks going 100kph depositing loose stones etc from their loads, tyres, etc.  I've only noticed anything hitting my legs, and nothing's happened besides noticing it.  Of course I wear a proper helmet, wear basic motorbike gloves, and jacket.  I do notice lots of people don't (some wear thongs & shorts - which is really stupid - even before you consider 6am winters at 0-5c - no sense no brains).

Possibly 12 years ago a bee or wasp did suicide on my neck, I presume that dying instantly means they possibly can't inject so much (or maybe any) toxins, because besides the little prick from the stinger nothing happened.Have basic gear & you don't need to worry.  Stones etc lack mass, which means their initial energy isn't large, and combined with the fact they aren't designed for flight, you don't have reason to worry providing your face is covered (for the 0.001% days).Haven't had any kangaroos suicide on me, so that would be a different matter at 100kph.

I was hit in the face by a bumble bee once, and it hurt. Gave me a fine black eye too,. Thereafter I took to wearing a visor and judging by the dings, scratchers and splattered bugs on it it saved me a lot of grief.

rarely, but I wear a full face helmet because I am not a moron.

• Anton

" ... who don't wear a helmet or face shield.... "

I don't do helmet, except for where the law says I gotta -- and then I get the smallest least helmet.

Eyes:  At speeds over 30 mph the wind will be uncomfortable.  At 45 you need eye protection -- good glasses, goggles, ,or a windscreen.  At over 30 mph in the rain, the raindrops sting your face.  In over 100,000 miles, no rocks on the face.  ONE beetle, in Turkey, center over the eyebrows, at 65 mph, hurt, no damage.

Rocks do not fly by themselves.  Rocks only fly an second or two.  You should be two seconds behind another vehicle, and hence, no rocks will hit you.

A screen will block wind, rocks, beetles, etc..

Yeah. 20 years of it didn't stop me from enjoying the motorcycle. Goggles or a face shield is a must on the freeway at high speed, but on the street, there's very little hazard in it. Think: when you ride in a car or on the bus, do yu hear rocks hitting it? Scooters and motorcycles aren't magnetized to gravel either. I got caught in a small hail storm once and had to duck into a covered parking lot for about 10 minutes. I wasn't injured, but it was no fun. If you're scared of pebbles and bugs, you should buy a car instead of a scooter or motorcycle. 

I've been riding motorcycles on and off for about 50 years now.  And I was hit with a stone ONE time.  It was from a car beside me.  The stone came at me sideways.  It hit me in the leg and it hurt, but it didn't break the skin, it only left a little bruise.

Motorbikes are dangerous (anyone will tell you that!) but getting hit with a pebble that blinds you or leaves a permanent dent in your head is not one of the major dangers.  THE most dangerous thing (in my own experience) is car drivers who 'don't see you'.  Whenever a car driver makes a left turn across a cyclist's path, or changes lanes and knocks a cyclist off his bike, they always say 'I didn't see him!'  And it's true--they didn't.  Because they didn't LOOK. 

I had one serious accident caused by a car driver, back in the 70s, and that taught me not to trust them, not to predict what they were going to do.  it's MY job to stay out of THEIR way.  Once I learned that lesson, I've been safe.  (Knock wood.)

You're going to be hit by pebbles, flying beetles, bees, wasps, moths, and the occasional pigeon.  Close your face shield, or get goggles.  Wear a motorcycle jacket.