Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceCredit · 3 weeks ago

Debt collector needs a copy of my SSN card?

I personally applied for the credit card at a local Sam's club store with legit information. I don't know how they messed up the SSN portion at the time the application was being processed. It has been a problem because neither the debt collector or the creditor would want to discuss my account with me because they said that the ssn I gave them doesn't match what they have on file. Now they want an agreement letter that I owed the debt and a copy of my SSN card, then they'll further discuss what payment options are available. Can someone shed some light to my situation? I'm trying to find better options to prove that I did gave them the correct information without sending a copy of my SSN card in the mail. 

• R P

Tell the debt collector that since they do not have your correct SSN, apparently they have the wrong person and that it is not your debt.

If it is your debt, kudos to you for owning up to it, but tell the debt collector that you are not going to give them a copy of your SSN card.

• Scott

Bullshit, they don't need a copy of your card.

I would not provide anyone with my SS#.  I worked collections 35 years ago and we never asked for that or even for them to give us the number over the phone.