My wife is pregnant, but I am not sure if the child is mine. Should I assume paternity?

11 Answers

Relevance
  • Kelly
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago
    Favorite Answer

It will depend on the laws in your state but in most states you'll automatically be deemed the legal father of the child.  In most state when a woman gives birth when she is married, regardless of paternity her husband is deemed the legal father of the child until a court says otherwise.

• Edna
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

If you're not sure the child is yours, then get DNA testing done after the child is born, and find out. 

• Ocimom
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

NO.  Not w/o a dna test!

• 4 weeks ago

In some states, a married man is presumed to be responsible for his wife's pregnancy.

If you doubt your wife is carrying your baby, talk to her about it and if you are not satisfied with her answer, get a paternity test.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 4 weeks ago

No, don't be dumb. Get a DNA test as soon as the child is born and when it comes back negative, contest paternity. Get the best lawyer your money can get then sue. Do not pay a dime to your whore wife or to her b@stard child. 

• 4 weeks ago

Like others have said here, the states have different laws, in some, signing the birth certificate will make you financially obligated for child support regardless of what DNA  may say later. Unfair yes, but law none the less. The question is, will you continue the relationship with her if the kid is not yours? if you are ready for that relationship to end, then refuse to sign until a test is done, if you want to be with her regardless, then just sign the thing and accept the kid.

• 4 weeks ago

get dna testing...............

• Foofa
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

Depending on where in the world you are your paternity may be assumed by virtue of you being married to the mother. But if you want to be sure about it by all means do a DNA test once the child is born. 

• Anonymous
    4 weeks ago

Get a DNA test after it's born. You don't want to always wonder.

• 4 weeks ago

for now yes. After the child is born(is the child is healthy) tell your doctor to get a cotton swab and collect cheeck cells. Then book a gel electrophoresis test

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.