Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationMaintenance & Repairs · 4 weeks ago

How do I fix minor car issue from trying to ford water?

I was trying to take a trip to Voyageurs national park and could not find a road bridge to Voyageurs National Park.

I decided to drive my 1996 Toyota Corolla through some shallow water which showed on the map as leading to Voyageurs national park in the boundary waters of northern Minnesota.

I drove VERY slowly through the water and was going fine for the first hundred feet or so, and then I found a “drop off” and the hood end went submerged and the engine made a loud gurgle, clunk and wrench sound and then it just gave out.

This whole the gas pedal was pressed and the front tires were spinning freely.

I got out and waded back to shore and I called a tow truck and they said it would cost hundreds of dollars to get the car to a repair shop. Is there a simple repair I can do to get the car back driving?

Should I have gone faster when trying to drive through the shallow water?

You borked it.

buy something built in this century

There have been a few car come into our dealership that did the same as yours. Hydro locked engines due to driving into water too deep and busted the pistons. I personally have had the honor of replacing the engines. If the engine was running when it went under, it ruined the engine.....Period!

Nope. No simple fix. Major damage.

Flood damage is about as minor as a direct lightning strike.

You would be lucky to make the vehicle driveable for 4 times the value of the car before the damage.

Nooe. EPIC FAIL. Totally epic stupidity. 

Yesterday you said this happened in Florida, Troll.

You need a girlfriend

You don't have a minor car issue.  You have a dead car and a destroyed engine.  First, Cars are not designed to "ford" water hazards.(good use of "ford" though)  This is stated in the drivers manual which you probably did not read.  Even for high water trucks, you need special equipment and a water tight air intake to take on water above the hood.   That also assumes that the electrical connection are solid.  Electrical connections in a 1996 Toyota are never sufficient for this sort of thing.  What you did, was stupid.  Very Stupid with your car and your lucky to not have been killed.

Maybe its time prepare for a trip like that by having the right vehicle.  Let this be a lesson to you to not attempt something stupid.  Your very lucky to survive driving through water, don't try that stuff again without the proper equipment, because the next time it will most likely kill you. 

Once the air intake went under water, it was all over.  It might be best to junk the vehicle.

You can try getting a charged battery, remove the plugs, disable ignition and the fuel pump and crank the engine until all the water comes out of the chambers.  Remove the injectors and coils to dry, reinstall them and change the oil.  Drain all the fuel and put fresh fuel.  Try to start. 

If you cannot get the engine to crank, the engine has likely seized or there is an electrical issue.   If the ECU went under water, it is likely the car will not start.  Good luck.