Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Food & DrinkOther - Food & Drink · 4 weeks ago

why is over 75 percent of the things you find in supermarkets non essential "junk food" , processed crap?

has anyone else noticed this? just aisles of crap,,,chips, cookies, frozen corn dogs, etc etc. how come people are this stupid to buy this crap? do they not know it is bad for you and makes you feel like crap?

ice cream, frozen pizza, chicken nuggets, etc etc.

and of course the soda pop aisle....people dont even drink anything other than cokes and diet pepsis etc

then the "Bakery aisle"...donuts, cakes, cake mixes, pies, more donuts, etc etc

• David
    Favorite Answer

Because those foods with all the preservatives and processing last forever and have high profit margins.

yes but there is also a fruit/veges section, meat,chicken seafood etc for people to cook from scratch.

• denise

'Convenience' foods are just that.

I buy a mixture of both pre-prepared and fresh. 

In moderation  I don't think these things are “bad” for you and certainly won't make you feel ill!

Those things are intended to provide people with choices - you're not meant, for example, to buy one each of every cake available. I rarely buy ice cream for example, but I want it there for when I do want to buy some. I want a choice too.

I think people are a lot more health conscious than they were e=en just a few years ago but few people eat exclusively “healthy food” - most people like a treat now and then.

Supermarkets stock these things because they what people want to buy.

• CB

Because it sells and is profitable - no concern of yours what people want to put down their pie holes, just look out for yourself no one needs a nanny.

Simple answer?  Supply and demand. 

Some people weren't taught how to cook.   Others don't like to cook.  Others don't have time to cook.   Others lack basic health/nutrition information.  Others prefer the taste of food that is loaded with fat, salt and sugar. 

Even people who think they are "health conscious" buy that crap all the time.  I have a coworker who thinks eating soy bacon for breakfast every day is healthy.   That stuff is full of salt and carcinogenic liquid smoke flavor.   Grocery aisles are loaded with "health" food and "health" drinks that are just overpriced garbage. 

Some people buy highly processed food because it's all they can afford.   A box of mac & cheese is $.79 and broccoli is $3/pound.   This is a big problem in some areas of the USA.

By the way, I broke my leg in three places three months months ago.   I'm really glad to be mostly back on my feet again, but for two months I literally couldn't cook.   Yes, I tried to eat as healthy as I could with things like yogurt, banana, oatmeal, etc. but I was really glad to have some convenience foods like canned chili and a frozen lasagna on hand.  

• kswck2

The food industry makes it that way because it is cheap and easy to make. I think the invention of the Food Network made people realize that there are other foods that don't have to BE junk. That and the Farm To Table restaurants have sprung up all over the place. 

There is a YouTube channel (don't wish to be accused of advertizing for him), that Only tries and rates 'Horrible Processed Foods'. It is a wake up call for so many people that eat crap on a regular basis.  

You're free not to eat garbage. I never do. I prefer real food.

Because all of it would spoil is preservatives are not added. 

The food industry wants to keep us addicted to keep making money. No one cares about our health. We are a nation of quick, cheap, and the bigger, the better. So HELL YES, that 18 inch frozen pizza is $3.99! HELL YES the sugary garbage cereal is 3 for $6! HELL YES the processed chicken nuggets are buy one, get one free! But...a 5 pound bag of oranges is $10, green grapes are $2.99 a pound, no nitrate, organic lunch meat is $7 for a pack of 8 slices, fresh meat is $4 per pound... you see where I'm going. 

People buy the items they want to buy and if the products are not sold the company will go out of business  or change what it is they are selling.