San

Which sentence is better?

A. What was Greece like?

B. How was Greece?

When you are asking someone who has been to Greece before what kind of place it was, which would you say? Thanks!

Favorite Answer

If you are asking someone who has been to Greece many times (for work, for instance), then I'd say that "How was Greece?" is better because it just sounds more casual. Sure, they may have been to Greece 20 times before, but it is a polite way to casually ask them about their trip.

I, personally, would use "What was Greece like?" to ask a person who just went to Greece for the very first time. They had never been there before, and I am inviting them to describe it. I would especially ask it to them this way if I had never been to Greece either. 

But, both are grammatically correct. Which one you use just depends on context. Neither would be drastically wrong, though. 

If you are asking how they enjoyed their visit, ask, "How was Greece?"

If you are asking what kind of place Greece is, ask, "What was Greece like?" or, "What's (what is) Greece like?"

This is our standard way of asking about people too."How is your cousin?" = Is your cousin well?"What is your cousin like?" = Is he nice, clever, lazy, kind, stupid - what? What's his character?

And of course a third possible question,What does your cousin look like?" = Is he tall, short, blond, medium, chunky, skinny, dark etc?

I will say

You have been in GREECE, interesting place. Do you like Greece ? 

• RP

Either could work. Personally, I'd go with the first, but there is nothing wrong with the second.

"how" asks for an opinion.  what was it like asks for a description.  Which do you want, a description of the place or how the person felt about the place?

The first one is better.  "How was Greece" is more of a personal opinion question about somebody's one-time experience in Greece.

How was your vistlit to greece.l?