Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceWords & Wordplay · 3 weeks ago

What does the phrase "over right or wrong" mean exactly here?

"But perceptive critics have identified a more ambivalent side to Henry. The great essayist William Hazlitt saw in Hal ‘a very amiable monster, a very splendid pageant’, 33who preferred brute force over right or wrong."

7 Answers

Relevance
  • RP
    Lv 7
    3 weeks ago
    Favorite Answer

One interpretation is that morals, principles, etc are irrelevant when the contest is between what should be and what can be. For example, this is the opposite of the expression, "the pen is mightier than the sword." It offers the opiinion that "might makes right" because, when brute force is pitted against logic, the only thing that matters is which side is stronger or has the most power.

• Anonymous
    2 weeks ago

brute force versus right or wrong

• 3 weeks ago

It means the same thing as 'preferred brute force to right or wrong'.

• 3 weeks ago

They preferred A over B and C.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 3 weeks ago

the over is used to link "brute force" to "right or wrong" as choices, and declare that the first (brute force) is seen as Hal's choice when faced with that option.

I like this, I do not like that.

I prefer this to that.

I choose this over that.  over means above (on the level of preference; it is higher in level of want or desire or value).

• 3 weeks ago

Means over consideration of the properness of his actions.

• 3 weeks ago

It means Hal didn't care too much about the details of a subject, he just liked to hit things.  He was a doer more than a thinker.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.