Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationMaintenance & Repairs · 4 weeks ago

Should I try to sell my car or just scrap it?

It is a 2011 Aveo. It broke down on Christmas Eve and has been in my driveway since. It has a hole in a freeze plug and I haven't been able to get it fixed. Someone ripped out the entire dash to change the heater core but never finished so the car is such a mess right now that an auto shop said it was $3,000 before even looking under the hood. I just called an auto wrecking place and they said that the car is kind of new to be going to a scrap yard. 

I just don't know if anyone would buy it lol if I sold it should I list for $1000? It had other issues too so I am just going to buy a new car this evening. What to do with this one though?

• Bill
    Favorite Answer

Sell it to someone who can fix it himself.  Putting the dash back together shouldn't be that bad if it wasn't damaged when it was removed.  

Sell it to a junk yard.   It is worth maybe $5000 if in good condition.   With the problems you listed it is worthy maybe $2000.   It will cost you at least a $1000 to fix it and even then it will not be worth much.   If you can get a junk yard to give you $1500 for it,  take it.  

I don't know what the price of scrap is right now for scrap cars, but if the scrap yard offered me anything I'd take the money and run before they changed their mind. Whatever they offer will not be close to $1000

• That's a lot of money to get all that fixed, I would just scrap it. 

This isn't rocket science. List it for sale as "Mechanics Special" or "Needs Work". List all the problems. Include pictures. Say "Make offer". Wait for an offer. 

Offer it for $1500.  Sell to the first person who makes an offer.