How to get rid of flying ants?

We have been inundated, in the kitchen here, for a couple of days .   They are popping out from under the counter, on top of the washing machine and dishwasher.   I don't 'mind' the odd ant, but this is just grizzly.   Makes me shudder to think of it.   UK.

• Justin
    Favorite Answer

It depends on if you want to 'solve' the actual problem or just solve this particular problem.

Many different ant types enter a 'flying' phase each season in order to give them more mobility to search for new colony locations, food sources, etc...

I have eight distinct types living in large numbers on my property and ALL of them have come into the house at some point, from the largest ones to ones so small they can barely be seen. Each time they entered, it was because of failures in the masonry or wood.

Rather than poisoning myself trying to wipe them out, or hiring someone to exterminate the colonies, I decided to see if we could all get along somehow. I also realized that they each play an important role in helping my flowers and plants, reducing yard waste back to useful material and many other 'beneficial' things. The ONLY problem was them coming into my house.

So I decided to see the ants as 'inspectors' who were giving me very specific information about my house. They don't actually just 'appear' on your counter, (though I admit it certainly seemed that way to me too). This is by design, of course, to keep you from seeing their entry points, movements and most of their other activities. Many of them even time their activities based your own activities, coming out only at night or 'quiet' times. Of course, there is a 'time limit' to their flying phase, so they tend to throw caution to the wind, (so to speak). 

The real 'solution' is to make the minor repairs necessary to keep them from coming into your home. They can take advantage of very small holes and house damage, which are actually quite inexpensive to repair. Stone or brick mortar, (or something comparable sold in a tube as a 'repair' option), or some type of wood glue is all that is needed. They will shift operations again and find new holes, of course, so you can get frustrated and give up then or find the new entryway. With a little time and patience, they will show you EVERY damaged or worn area of your masonry or wood that could possibly be used to enter your house. In the interim, you will have a respite from their activities and slow them down each time. Back to the more tolerable 'stray ant or two,' who typically just find crumbs and leave without any 'raids.'

By patching small holes in your home's facade, you will be heading off more serious damage from water, wind and other things. That is how those larger problems start. Learning to live together with a species that specializes in finding these barely visible holes just makes more sense to me than wiping them out and ignoring the home's masonry or wood, losing out on their natural benefits, etc... 

Yes, I admit to being a bit odd, but I really do think that environmental poisons from extermination techniques are a serious health concern to which many people don't give a second thought. They also spend so much on landscaping replacing dead plants which would thrive when not poisoned or deprived of insect populations to assist them. I actually find it entertaining to see how clever insects and other small animals are in how they deal with us and how they survive. So much happens 'unseen' all around us.

It is worth pointing out also that you can deter ants by using essential oils, (citrus, peppermint, pine, or pine-like oils from plants like rosemary, etc...), spraying them near doorways, windows or areas where they are clearly marching into the house. Pick your favorite scent and use it on counters or spray the ants directly, (it is often strong enough to kill the ones already present without poisoning anything). Some of them release chemical markers as warnings in response to avoid the area, which other ants will begin to follow. This will also limit their numbers while keeping your house filled with a nice fragrance.

• Ann

It sounds as if you're experiencing a phase of termites.  Have your house checked to see if there's damage.  When termites are in a certain stage of growth, they fly before they settle down to destroying wood.

It's time for the ant farm to produce queens for new colonies.  Thats what the wings are for. 

You need to find where they are getting into the house and seal that opening.

pull off the wings?

What I do is launch fleets of paper aeroplanes crewed by grasshoppers against them. It's a joy to watch them engage in dogfights in the sky, insect bodies plummeting to the ground in flames. Invite friends around and you can bet on individual battles and the general outcome. Go for it.

• It's flying ant day!  It normally only happens once or twice a year when the fertile adults swarm, breed and set up new colonies.  The ones inside your house can be killed with fly spray.  If you're getting flying ants in your kitchen, you get ordinary worker ants the rest of the year.  Put down borax based bait feeders (you can get them from the garden centre) and the worker ants will take the borax back to the nest and kill the whole colony.  Ants spend much of their lives underground, so they are probably getting in through a crack in the floor.  Fill any cracks with vinyl filler.

look around outside to find how they are getting into the house and attack them their .........