Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw & Ethics · 4 weeks ago

How are knives supposed to be used in self defense? (For r*pe/attack)?

I see knives in self defence kits for woman and such, but how are these supposed to be used in the time of an attack or such? 

I live in Canada and unfortunately we arent allowed to carry anything such as pepper spray because its considered as a weapon. The only thing that we are able to legally carry is a knife as it can be used for anything. For example, if i was found with a knife in my bag, i could just say that i was going to the park to cut fruit for a picnic.

I honestly have no idea how to use a knife in the time of an attack but Its better than nothing. This thought is making me feel super unsafe when i have to walk out at night alone or in shady areas. 

Update:

Please don't leave any answers like "knives don't do anything" or "you shouldn't engage", YES, that would be the best choice, but in the present moment of an attack, its not easy to escape without anything like pepper spray which again is stupidly illegal. A knife is better than nothing and in the end, i would rather go to jail than be possibly dead.

16 Answers

Relevance
  • John
    Lv 7
    3 weeks ago

In 71 years I've never had to defend myself with a knife or any weapon.

• 4 weeks ago

Sounds like you Canooks need to vote in people who will change the laws so you are allowed to protect yourself sense the COPS cannot be everywhere and do it for you.

• 4 weeks ago

what a dumb question , how about they are sharp you fool.

• 4 weeks ago

Take a self defense class to find out.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • John
    Lv 4
    4 weeks ago

I believe the steps are, after killing it you gut it and clean, you know scrap the fat and other entrails then wash it and ypurself thoughly to get blood and other gunky stuff off.

then hang it in a breeze let it dry out.

gsther wood, you know dried wood and and little green. you can use the knife to start the fire with the flint.

and from thrre its a motter of cooking. you should have some tasty chow coming. dont forget the salt!

• 4 weeks ago

Use it to inflict any amount of pain and injury.

Rapists generally select "easy" targets.. Rape is often a crime of opportunity.  They look for women who are alone, preferably in secluded areas..   Clothing that is quick and easy to remove..  Anything they can use to easily grab and subdue (like a ponytail hairstyle).. Etc.

Someone who fights back with a weapon of any kind, or even makes noise and draws attention, they suddunly are not such an easy target.

• 4 weeks ago

Slash, stab, whatever.  

• Maxi
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

The person would be far better to go and do some classes and learn some basic self defence  as that would be much more use to anyone than carrying a knife, as a knife can be easily turned on the person who is carrying it, so you are much more likely to suffer being stabbed/killed than if you have learned self defence

• 4 weeks ago

For one, it depends on what kind of knife it is, it's length and whether it has a curved or straight blade.

• Stab and twist.  Stab and twist.  

Slicing with a knife makes for an effective show of blood, but it doesn't do extensive damage.  Stabbing someone in the abdomen, where all of their unprotected organs are, is a great way to cause a lot of damage with very little effort.  Humans are naturally disinclined to stab, though.  Most people aren't into the idea of forcefully penetrating others, so when the opportunity to use a knife presents itself, we usually end up slicing.  That's why soldiers, when they're trained to use blades and bayonets, are taught to overcome that instinct to slice and to stab instead.

If your attacker has a lot of belly fat, a 4 or 5 inch blade can still go through their back, right into the kidneys and liver.

A great book about the subject is "On Killing" by Dave Grossman.  His ultimate conclusions are generally wrong or unsupported by the evidence he presents, but his basic research is still pretty good and solid.

So, if you're attacked and if you can get your knife, grip it tightly and stab into the abdomen of your attacker.  Don't slice with it, don't throw it, and don't relinquish control of it.  You're in it for your survival at that point and there's no reward for 2nd place.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.