What is Ben Franklin telling his fellow Convention delegates? ?

On the last day of the Constitutional Convention, Benjamin Franklin stood up and gave this speech:

“Mr. President, I confess that I do not entirely approve of this Constitution at present, but Sir, I am not sure I

shall never approve it: For having lived long, I have experienced many instances of being obliged, by better

Information or fuller Consideration, to change opinions even on important Subjects…

…I doubt too whether any other Convention we can obtain may be able to make a better Constitution: For

when you assemble a Number of Men to have the advantage of their joint wisdom, you inevitably assemble

with those Men all their Prejudices, their Passions, their Errors of Opinion, their local Interests, and their

selfish Views. From such an Assembly can a perfect Production be expected? It, therefore, astonishes me, Sir, to

find this system approaching so near to perfection as it does… Thus I consent, Sir, to this Constitution because

I expect no better, and because I am sure that it is not the best.”

There are no answers yet.
Be the first to answer this question.