... asked in Pregnancy & ParentingAdolescent · 1 month ago

Do you think it's unhealthy for a 17 yo to read about true crime?

I am fascinated by the Columbine case.

• LizB
    Favorite Answer

For most, no. I actually was around your age when the Columbine shooting happened. I don't think it's wrong for a teenager today to be interested in something like that and want to read about it to be informed, but if you have fantasies of *being* like those kids or idolizing them like some kind of heroes, then that is definitely unhealthy.

No not unhealthy 

I always was fascinated about crime, and still am. It is such curious human behavior and most of all, I enjoy the detective work and laws surrounding criminal law.

Sometimes crime can be pretty gruesome when the criminal displays savage behavior, but as an almost 18 year old teenager  I think you are mature enough to handle it.

only if they are going to be in a criminal career like a cop or forensics

• mikey

Normal for a young adult.

No, but it is unhealthy if you think about it constantly, want to reinact, or idolize any of the stories you read about. If youre anything less than disgusted, angry, or saddened for the victims, then you should see a therapist. 

Read about, no. Fetishize, yes.