Canadian coins ?

My dad gave me Canadian coins in 2007 and Ive kept them ever since.  They say they are from 2004 and they are packaged and I never took them out so they look brand new.  I’m not sure if they’re worth anything but if you guys know can you let me know?  

I’m from the United States so it’s unusual for me, there is a $2 coin, $1 coin, and 50 cent coin. The rest are normal

• Jay P

It sounds like you have an uncirculated coin set from 2004.  Linked below is a 2020 example from the Royal Canadian Mint.  

What you have is realistically worth face value.  To a coin collector, it may be worth a little bit more as they are uncirculated.  But as they are only 16 years old and there are lots of coins from 2004 still in general circulation ( aside from the 50 cent piece which is not widely circulated ), don't expect much at this time.  However, they may be worth more in the future as they become more collectible. 

There is a 35% devaluation on Canadian currency when exchanging to,US 

What you have is not worth much unless you are in Canada. Now if they are silver coins that’s different. Then you you get the value of silver of what’s in the coin

I am a Canadian who lives on the border with the US 

Ancient coins sell better

My brother collects currency. Not usually worth but face value. When you know that this and that was gained by dead relatives. Passed across hands from 1800 or so, that is awesome.

NEVER clean coins!!!

Proof sets, don't open them, no reason to, not worth a damn, but maybe in twenty years? Who knows.

2004 isn't really old enough to be high enough value to sell. also, not my business, but I'd get permisssion from your dad before you sell. unless you're just asking for a price because you're curious.

If they are packaged, leave them packaged. Without seeing what you have, I don't know what you have, because Canada issued several different commemoratives that year. Commemoratives are special collector coins, they are not for spending.

If it's just the basic 7-coin uncirculated Mint set (the outer packaging has what looks like wheat stalks), the face value of the coins is $3.91 and the set is probably worth at least three times that much.

Canadian dollars are worth about 74 cents in US dollars.  Since these coins are relatively new, and nothing is unusual about them, multiply the face value in Canadian dollars by 0.74 to calculate the value in US dollars.

• Scott

Coins are rarely worth anything more than face value unless they are 80 or more years old.