Is it legal for my mom to take away my property when I'm over 18?

So I bought a Nintendo Switch Lite with my own money recently. I'm 21, an only child, living in New Hampshire (US), going to college (which my parents are mostly paying for), and still living with my parents when I'm not in school. I do go to work though, and earn my own money. 

Some background: my mom is very controlling. She homeschooled me for most of my life before college, and is very controlling and worried especially about electronics. So much so that I'm not allowed to bring any electronics upstairs at night and she requires that my dad and I keep our phones in the kitchen. She's taken many things away from me my whole life, and required access to my laptop, phone, and social media accounts until I turned 18. She doesn't work, and my dad makes all of the money.

SO

I bought a USED nintendo switch LITE, which I've been wanting for a few years. I didn't tell my mom that I was buying it, because I used my own money and I knew she would control it. I kept it upstairs, until she was going through my stuff while I was at work and found it. She then hid it. When I got home I knew that she had taken it, but waited until she brought it up. She says she's taking it away for two weeks because I was hiding it from her, I kept it upstairs (we're not allowed to keep electronics upstairs), and that I was spending extra money when money is tight (which is not entirely true, also it was my own money). 

Is this legal for her to do since I'm over 18 and bought this with my own money?

No, she had no right to take it away, or anything else you own, living with her or not.  You're an adult and these are your personal property.

• Tj

She is a nut, controlling freak. NO she has no rights to take you possessions. You paid for them. Get the hell away from her. Tell you Dad he needs to get his man nuts and use them. You can also call the police to get you items. Get away from her and tell you so called father that you plan on getting away from her, if he does not stop her.  Get all of you important papers and get them Well hidden from her, just in case you need to make a break from them in a hurry. You can get a safe deposit box at the bank if you want, but keep that key on a chain around your neck and NEVER REMOVE IT.  You are alegal adult and she has no legal rights over you now.

• audrey

Sadly, since you are living in her house and she's paying your bills, yes she can. Your mother is very weird.

• Isabel

It's not legal, but taking legal action will absolutely make things weird at home.  Who does your mom trust?  Her preacher, her therapist, her sister?  Ask if she'd consider having that trusted person sit with you while you discuss your desire for greater privacy and respect.  Use lots of "I feel" statements, and avoid blame.  The goal isn't to feel like you won- the goal is to make her feel good about bestowing your rights to you. 

i dont think so, maybe you should move out