Why is it confusing and hard for my mom and dad to understand what I’m saying?

I was watching videos on YouTube on how to do a Scots accent so I watched them 3 times a day, and was watching Scottish movies and comedies on YouTube too. So I’m now imitating a Scots accent, not speaking with the real Scots accent yet until I practice more, I’m also listening to Scottish radio stations on my Sonos device! I’m a British born in Jakarta girl who lives in oxford uk   

Favorite Answer

I am Scottish and obviously have a Scottish accent and a lot of people from London area find it hard to understand what I am saying.

In my experience, it is extremely rare to hear a non-Scot successfully manage to speak in a Scottish accent. There are many Scottish accents and they vary considerably. Have you any idea what kind of Scottish accent you're attempting to speak in? It could be that the way you're speaking doesn't sound like anything and that is why you sound confusing to your parents.