ashley asked in Arts & HumanitiesPoetry · 1 month ago

Explain why you think this is an effective thesis statement. (the first sentence)?

A poet is somebody who feels, and who expresses his feeling through words.

This may sound easy. It isn't.

A lot of people think or believe or know they feel-but that's thinking or believing or knowing; not feeling. And poetry is feeling-not knowing or believing or thinking.

Almost anybody can learn to think or believe or know, but not a single human being can be taught to feel. Why? Because whenever you think or you believe or you know, you're a lot of other people: but the moment you feel, you're nobody-but-yourself.

To be nobody-but-yourself-in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody else-means to fight the hardest battle which any human being can fight; and never stop fighting.

As for expressing nobody-but-yourself in words, that means working just a little harder than anybody who isn't a poet can possibly imagine. Why? Because nothing is quite as easy as using words like somebody else. We all of us do exactly this nearly all of the time-and whenever we do it, we're not poets.

If, at the end of your first ten or fifteen years of fighting and working and feeling, you find you've written one line of one poem, you'll be very lucky indeed.

And so my advice to all young people who wish to become poets is: do something easy, like learning how to blow up the world-unless you're not only willing, but glad, to feel and work and fight till you die.

It summarizes the gist of the work.

It may or may not be but in my opinion it is incomplete..... excuse me if I overlooked it but a poet even a blind poet is someone who sees....take blind Harry for example who wrote of the death of William bubba Wallace barely over 700 yrs ago.....after the birth of his son archie(Greek for prince) and the placement of pluto upon the pedestal(climax) oops that was Daniel 11  and the return of Clyde's ashes to pluto(rise of action)realization of high place of worship(fall of action)...honor the god of forces....by the act of observation......the color guard is colored....who made them the colorgaurd.....I'm gid dam bonifided I'm the pater families......moose....in the jail house now......these boy interfered with a Lynch mob in the performance of its duty... the fight done been won .... now you can rest in the finished works

• Speed

I can't, because I don't think it's an effective thesis statement. And even if I did, I won't do your homework, Ashley.

(Lose the comma. Outright mistake.)

Everyone feels, and many people who are not poets express their feelings through words. I'm a writer, but I'm no poet. I feel. I can make other people feel with my words. My applause is when someone tells me they had an emotional reaction to something I wrote, whether it was hate or tears.