Good or bad for your boss to give you an important new project and mention that you “usually” do a good job?

I work in a professional services firm and made a very embarrassing mistake at work recently and my boss had to talk to the client about it.  

The boss gave me another new project today.  He said that it was for a high-profile client and “wanted to put our best foot forward” and chose me.

He said that I “usually” do a great job.

Before the big mistake, I thought that he would have said that I “always” do a good job.

Would you take being told that you “usually” do a great job to be kind of a warning and that the boss remembers the recent bad mistake?

Thanks.

Always is kind of a strong word.  I used to work at a place where I would tell people "It *should* do this or that or blah blah blah" and many of them would crudely fire back "SHOULD OR WILL BECAUSE THEY'RE TWO DIFFERENT THINGS!"  

Again will is a strong word because there's always that possibility that things might not work the way they were intended (happened all the time).  That's why I always used the word *should* because if everything goes the way it's supposed to this is what *should* happen.  There's always the possibility that something might fail or something unexpected arises and it won't go according to plan.

In essence, you're overthinking things. He simply means you do a good job but he recognizes nobody's perfect and we all make mistakes from time to time. A bigger warning would've been him not giving the work to you because he doesn't trust you anymore.

Yes, of course. It means you're doing your job well. Which is always good, especially, if he is moving you up to high profile clients.

Of course he remembers it.  Unless he has dementia or alzheimers, he will remember it always.  Wish I could remember how to spell alzhiemers.

• Kyle

we learn from our experiences.  don't make the same mistake again.  if you make to many, you could be let go.

You're over thinking things.  You got the project.  Go do a good job.  Period.