olivia asked in HealthDiet & Fitness · 1 month ago

How do I cure my addiction to sugar?

Ever since I was child I have loved eating sugary foods like cakes and cookies but my main favorite has always been candy, especially the sour kind, that’s usually covered in sugar crystals. I’m not sure why but it brings me comfort when I’m sad or when my body is feeling bad, but I recently realized it’s because my body is suffering from sugar withdrawals. It’s affecting me negatively but I don’t know how to stop eating it :/ I actually started crying because I broke down and bought three bags of candy from dollar store. It’s very obvious I have some sort of addiction and I would really like some advice on how to kick it.

Slowly start to eat less sugar, and then your cravings will decrease.

I tried it one time. It worked. When you eat less of it, your body

will adjust, and you won't crave it as much,

but it takes about 2 months before it starts working.

But you have to eat under 50 grams of carbs per day.

Be choosy. 1 slice of white bread = 24 carbs, 1 slice of wheat bread = 13 carbs.

You can load up on meats like tuna, chicken, and vegetables like broccoli,

asparagus, brussel sprouts, peas, beans, tomatoes, but NOT potatoes, rice

or pasta.

You could try slowly cutting down from it. I can kind of relate i LOVE carbs ramen noodles were my favorite junk food growing up and even though i stayed skinny because i would walk everywhere and some days i didnt eat much i still was not healthy because i wasn't eating healthy and as i got older it affected my digestion because i wasn't getting enough fiber. So today since i had a small cheat meal i won't eat junk food for two days then i take a break on the third day and then this time i don't eat junk for three days. It's a great way to still have what you want but not give it up completely. Besides sugar is addicting because it affects the reward system in your brain the same thing cocaine does. So i think it would be best if you just cut down first and when you're sad or in any mood where you need comfort write it down, go lay down in bed and relax try not to stress, and do what you have to do to get rid of the thinking where you associate mood with food.  I hope this helps and good luck.

• Ya-Hoo

Try an app like zoom. There's some vitamins you can take that will curb cravings. If you buy a small pack of chocolates at the store and eat one a day there's nothing wrong with that, and it might make you slow down your pig out sessions.

My neighbor has problems with the sugar and he walks every day 2 hours and he says to be well. 

I'm the same as you and I don't want to quit. Just keep eating it and friggin' enjoy it!!

Diabetes, here we come!!!

Experiment and find foods you enjoy that don't contain sugar such as savoury foods. You could also try popcorn (without sugar of course) as it is a healthy yet tasty snack! Personally one of my favourite foods is sushi which is healthy for you. I'm not saying sushi is going to be the food you love but as I said earlier experiment and try and find a savoury food that's good for you. Maybe Chinese food, a good steak, crackers and cheese. 

Your sugar cravings may be from a medical issue too and you could check with your doctor to see if that is the case.

The main thing is don't try and go cold turkey right away because you're just going to break and end back up where you started. You need SOME sugar in your life so make sure that you don't cut it all out, just cut down bit by bit instead of all at once. Maybe if you are craving sugar do something nice for yourself so that you still feel happy even though you are not satisfying your cravings.

Something that helps me which people may find to be quite dumb is thinking about how strong I am and how the willpower I have is a good thing. It makes me happy thinking about how I can resist the urge because at the end of the day it is just an urge and it's not going to hurt you if you don't fulfil it. Obviously if you are having withdrawls it can hurt to a certain degree but just tell yourself it is worth it. Challenge yourself to withstand the temptation.

Finally - life is about enjoying thing's, if you like sugar that's ok, if you cut it out yes you may live longer but you won't be as happy. This doesn't mean ingesting unhealthy amounts is good but make sure to treat yourself every once in a while and you will notice that you don't crave it as much if you provide it for yourself anyway

Don't replace the sweet/sour food with sweets of ANY KIND.  Don't use fruit!!  Fruit contains almost as much sugar as candy. You won't break your addiction that way. You have to cut it out. Period. I mean cut it completely OUT. 

I had the same issues. You have to literally simply STOP--I know that sounds hard. It is. Those sweet and sour candies are incredibly addicting. 

Now--for some practical advice. STAY OUT of the candy aisle. Stay out of Mr. Bulky stores where the predominate smell is SUGAR. Stay away from anything that even remotely resembles that flavor--such as sweet pickles or gherkins or sweet salad dressings. Eat a piece of CHEESE.  String cheese is good--it's bland, it removes that back-of-the-throat craving. Eat a Triscuit cracker or two--again, it's not something that will trigger your craving response. 

Make some hard-boiled eggs and have one of those. Cut up some bell peppers and eat the pieces raw. Carrots also work. 

It will take about 2-3 weeks to see a difference. 

Write down EVERYTHING you eat in a food log for the first two weeks--and see what it is that triggers your responses. Some foods will--avoid them for a while. You can do it. Trust me. 

When you think you might have kicked the habit--go to the store and buy some organic, unsweetened dried mangos--they are chewy, sweet enough without the sugar, and actually GOOD for you. And they won't trigger that craving again. I buy mine at Costco (they are also available at other warehouse clubs.) DO NOT get the ones with sugar added!!  Only the UNsweetened ones. I've completely kicked my candy habit with them. Good luck.

try and replace these sweet things with fruit. U may even need a blood test to check your blood sugar level as u may be at risk for diabetes.

• k w

my uncle loved that stuff too, but it gave him Diabetes......MAYBE if you do a search for the [ sugar blues ] at quantum balancing and read the article, that may cure you, but it';s a tuff habit to break........bet you never knew sugar has NO nutrition in it at all, lots believe the opposite to be true, but they just got punked by the system.....

• CB

You can research the affects of carbs all day long and find more information than you can read in a week.....IF you really cared.....no addiction - sweets turn to glucose FAST and raise you glucose levels fast - then after a short digestion period the glucose drops just as fast - completely changing how you feel (mentally and physically) so you cram more junk into your pie hole to get the glucose levels back - endless cycle and at the end of each cycle your body stores FAT (excess glucose then not enough and it goes into a defensive mod and store muscle as fat). 

If you want to get out of the cycle - release some funds, hire a GOOD nutritionist, follow the diet(which is just a different way of eating no starvation at all). You will soon be on a level glucose cycle that makes you feel good all day long everyday - it just takes a few weeks to adjust.