How to become an automotive technician with Lube technician experience?

Currently I am a level 1 mechanic. I work on all vehicles. Mercedes, Honda, Jeep, Jaguar etc... I do oil/filter changes , brake pads, caliper pins, machine rotors, patch tires, replace tires , under car inspection, and Underwood inspection. 

Schooling experience I went to school for a year so I know electrical, engine repair, HVAC , and Manual transmission and drive axles.. Tapping & die

My backyard mechanic experience included

Alternator & starter  replacement, belt pulley replacement, crank pulley replacement,  radiator coolant flush, diagnosing misfires, compression tests, spark plugs, fuel injectors,,, basic things

I am ready to learn to become a technician but I don’t know if anyone pays good enough to be a technician in training. I don’t want to be a line tech with the hopes of becoming a mechanic... any advice?

Underhood*

Lube*

What country are you from? If your in the United States, many shops want to see ASE certifications before they hire or promote you as a general service technician. I would go with a dealership that sells new cars because you will be exposed to some of the newest technology in cars, receive training from the vehicle manufacturer, and you will get to work alongside master technicians. You may get hired as a lower level technician but once you get certified you will likely get promoted. And if you get tired of the dealer, just go to an independent repair shop.

Go to work at local and reputable repair shop, lube shops are a dead end. A reputable shop will be busy and always require more skills so it will have an interest in training you. Learn to say I need to be paid well, not "good".

• Scott

It sounds like you have the fundamental knowledge and experience to be a technician. If your current employer doesn't offer the career path you're interested in, look elsewhere.