? asked in News & EventsOther - News & Events · 1 month ago

Why were there no blacks in Dad's Army tv programme?

9 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago
    Favorite Answer

There were none in affluent seaside areas at the time, and even today there are places where people are mostly white. The show reflected the culture. 

The only mention of black people was Corporal Jones who fought in the Boer war and referred to Africans as Fuzzy Wuzzies. 

I wonder if those parts are censored out now. 

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Because there were no quotas, no bleeding hearts and no fake representation of british society.

Know what I mean ‘arry?

• 1 month ago

Its simple at the time of the 2nd world war, very very very few none whites lived in the UK,  Dads army reflects the population. none whites only started to arrive in the UK after the end of the 2nd world war. 

• Times were different then, people didn't believe in tokenism.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

They had quite enough ethnic diversity with Mr Cheeseman and Private Frazer.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Because England was largely monochromatic in those days and all the better for it.

• 1 month ago

Because it was based in a fictional sleepy village in rural SE England which is prob 99% white even now. 

Sounds like you're digging a bit for something to get riled about.  

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Right, let's ban that series too. We could  even wipe the whole history plate clean and start again, shall we ? <sigh>

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

I doubt black people were part of the part-time fictional 'Walmington-On-Sea Home Guard' (during 1939-45), sir...whereas in the real world, some 10,000 (from the West Indies), and around 600,000 from Africa left their families and homes to join the British armed forces, working behind the scenes and on the frontline to defeat the Nazis.

And that's before we even mention black Americans, who were welcomed far better in England than they ever were in their home country. 

They

Did

Matter.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.