Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Social ScienceGender Studies · 1 month ago

Why do feminists tend to have lots of tattoos, piercings, and masculine haircuts?

My daughter isn't a 'feminist', but a lesbian. She had all these piercings on her face (nose, eyebrow, and tongue - not to mention all the earrings!) while sporting a really short butch haircut. I can't remember the reason, but she had to remove all the 'jewelry' from her face,and was slow putting it all back in. She came home from shopping one day and was telling me how nice everyone was towards her . . .  Then the penny dropped, the head jewelry was sending out messages to people that had them back off around her. She never put the jewelry back on . . .  

That is feminist fashion.  It just happens when enough people of a group follow a certain trend, and they become mildly stereotyped.  Then others hop onto that stereotype as empowerment, or for in-group allegiance.

• kelvin

sounds more like your describing dykes

Why do men tend to have lots of tattoos, piercings, and masculine haircuts?

Feminists are not all the same, they are individuals.  Many feminists are against conforming to the usual feminine 'norm'.  Mowhawks are an expression of rebellion, made famous by youths in the late 1970's - mid 1980's a movement known as Punk.  Mowhawk hairstyles, whether styled by men or women are not 'normal' hairstyles, though of course they can be worn down or in a ponytail, to help fit in with the daytime 'desk' job.

Piercings and tattoos are also expressions of rebellion.  Short hair cuts are easier to maintain.  The fact that you see tattoos, piercings and 'masculine' haircuts, in a negative way, equals that you are a 'square' individual with no means of expressing your individuality and perhaps a smidgen of jealously that others are capable of rebelling, because your too scared what other people will think of you!

• Bill

Did you see how many masculine liberal woman at the protests had mohawks? The mohawk is apparently making a come back with the masculine liberal woman crowd. lol

How can I look really unattractive? Hmmmm...I know, a mohawk! - liberal masculine women

As for why liberal women act this way, well, think about it for a moment. Liberal women have been rebelling against men and the society they build for a 100 years. Ironically during this rebellion they have co-opted all male activities as they believe being more like men is somehow the way towards independence and power. 

Feminists are just independent women that are empowered and smart. It's smart to have tatoos and piercings.

Penis envy.

They are just full of holes. Horrible smells from the front @ss and the back @ss. 

For a few, it's a statement as a rejection of gender roles. For some, it's an expression of freedom and being able to do what you want with your appearance. 

As for me, I'm not a very classically masculine person myself but I do have a few small tattoos just because I think they look nice and they have personal meanings to me. While getting them I didn't really have the thought of "this is feminist statement" or anything like that though; I just like 'em. I always have them in places I can hide them for work though so I wouldn't consider myself some kind of revolutionist or whatever lol.

There are no masculine haircuts.  To me, you are just describing ordinary women and you make we wonder if you're living in Stepford (as in "Wives").