Can I purchase an empty lot in a subdivision for the purpose of building a garden?

I want a large garden but I don't have the room on my property. Right down the street there is an empty lot for sale and its a really good deal. The problem is that it's in a subdivision and if I bought it I would be expected to build a nice house there. What would be wrong with ne putting in a beautiful community garden? What if I go door to door and ask everyone what they think about me starting a garden there? I'm sure I'd get at least a few people would would be interested in helping me. Is this a bad idea?

Favorite Answer

If you're already in the subdivision, you should have a copy of the CC&Rs. If you don't, contact the HOA administrator and request a copy of them. They are also likely filed with the county if you have trouble getting a copy from the administrator.

In it, it says what you're allowed to do and what you're not allowed to do. If you have trouble reading and understanding it, you can hire a lawyer to read it and advise you on whether that property would be suitable for you to use as a garden.

I suggest you consult a lawyer.  Don't go door to door.  And it is not a bad idea at all.  I grew up beside an apple orchard.  The couple on the other side of the orchard bought the two lots, lived in the house on one and had their orchard on the other lot, beside our house, in a beautiful residential neighborhood.  If you do it, make it organic.

Source(s): Certified Paralegal, with 25+ years' experience.

There's too many variables to give you an accurate answer.  What is the zoning laws in the area?  Is there a Home Owners Association?   

As a general rule, it isn't illegal. If there is an HOA. The rules may only permit residences. There would be a 'deed covenant requiring membership in the HOA and making the property owner subject to HOA rules.

• xyzzy

First go to the city or country courthouse and check on the zoning for that plot of land. In most cases the land use is not up to the people in the subdivision but up to the local zoning board.

Save yourself a LOT of running around - contact an attorney who does real estate work.

In every municipality residents are allowed to petition city government on such matters. So contact your member of City Council.