Are telephone companies allowed to hang up on you?

I was on the phone with an AT&T person trying to transfer service from my old iPad onto my new one and she needed some password and I didn’t have it and i tried to explain it but she said she needed it to verify my identity so i screamed at her to just skip that and i started screaming at her and threatening to get her fired and cussing at her and she hung up

Favorite Answer

yes, if youre screaming at her

Yup, that can happen.

well they should not be allowed to hang up on you because that it is considered as absolutely rude!!    

Give the customer a polite warning that cursing/using profanity will not help solve their problem.

Yes. Staff have a right not to suffer abusive callers. Maybe she should have just followed script and said she was unable to help you further and would pass your call to her Supervisior to deal with. However if you've ever been caught in a Catch 22 loop with Talk-Talk like I have, you really do need the patience of a saint not to lose your temper.

• Boy

no but they do and it has happened to me, and when you call the company back you get a new tech support agent.

It is just like being at a grocery store talking to a cashier pretty much.

Yup, all customer service reps have the right to hang up any caller that is abusive, cussing, naming calling and making any sort of threat, even if your mind you think your are being funny or trying to be dominant over the phone.

The good thing on their end is that most calls are being recorded and or monitored, and the have the upper hand by being able to add notes to your account whole talking to you and after they disconnect the call. And those notes are visible to all future supervisors and reps to access, including the recordings. So you will be flagged as a problem caller, even if you are all sweetness and  unicorn rainbow farts  on your next calls.  That way should you blow up and scream at them to cancel your service, you just might get your wish, with a lump sum on demand final bill. Which would kinda suck on month 2 of a 24 month installment plan in a new flagship phone. 

You were abusive - so she is justified in handing up on you.  Her employer and Union sorts that. You seen to immature to be allowed to re-enter into contacts whet you need to talk to people. Or you are a troll . . .

• Dan

As far as she's concerned, you were accidentally disconnected... oops. 

She should have cussed you back before she hung up.