What should I realistically do about my future?

So I’m a 2020 graduate from HS. My plan originally was to go to community college and then transfer to either FIT or Lasell University to pursue a major in fashion design. I truly do want to become a fashion designer. I visualize it constantly. However, recently (or should I say today) I’ve realized that I have to be genuinely realistic in my approach for my dream that I want to become true. My household isn’t the best. My mother didn’t even believe that I would graduate from the start of senior year, my dad used to be constant with emotional abuse (which my mother would turn a blind eye to or not really care) and he’s somewhat okay now but I don’t like him. And my brother would blame me (I’m not saying I’ve been the perfect child but the difference between me and my brother, maybe because he’s the oldest, is crazy) for how my father would act towards me and would even say to act a certain way so my father wouldn’t get upset. So because of this unstable household I want to move out as soon as I can. And because I want to move out I’m thinking of just graduating from community college with a degree in something I can get a good paying job in so that I can move out. I would still pursue fashion design whether it be on my own, or maybe getting an online degree. All I know for sure is that I don’t want to live here anymore and now I’m not sure how I should change my trajectory when it comes to college so that I can get a good paying job while also striving for my dreams.

I'm glad you're thinking realistically, and not just daydreaming about the future. I think you should consider taking design courses in community college that don't relate strictly to fashion. If you pursued CAD (computer aided design) courses for architecture or engineering design, you['d be developing art and design skills that would be in demand for many applications (fashion among them) but you may be able to get more work in different fields (architecture, interior design, product design, landscape design, pattern design, etc.) that will help support you until you are able to go after your first dream.

• Stella

So consider something in healthcare.

Or even something like HVAC repair.

You could do either of those along with many other choices at the community college.