Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Games & RecreationVideo & Online Games · 1 month ago

Does anyone else find it interesting that video games didn't exist before the 80's?

I'm 18 and video games have always seemed like such a basic luxury to me, that's it funny for me to think they just didn't exist before the 80's.

It's also funny to think that all of video game history and evolution takes place in the last forty years.

That is demonstrably false.

Err they did, the spectrum existed in the 70s and so did the Atari from the top of my head. Maybe a revolution came in the 80's.

Videogames have been around FAR before 1980 (I was born in 1980).

There is a great book "The Game Console" by Evan Amos (A MUST on any Gamer's shelves) and I recommend it to you, cause it mentions the WELL KNOWN "CRASH" of 1983.

It's like $18 on Amazon.

Video games have been around since the 70s.  My grandfather used to own a hotel that had an arcade machine and when my dad was dating my mom at the time he’d hang out at the hotel just to play on it.  This was around 1976-77

Video games did exist BEFORE the 1980's, as they started with computers (Space War) before hitting arcades (with Pong) & eventually the home market.

It wasn't until the 1980's when video games became a large industry (with the Golden Age of arcades in the early 1980's, with a Silver Age in the late-1980's & early 1990's).  There was also the industry crash in the US in 1983, which opened the door for Nintendo to revive the US industry.

It is interesting that the medium is only 50 years old & has advanced fairly quickly compared to other mediums (like radio, music, TV & movies).

I remember.  Before that, people played wargames and D&D with boards and cardboard markers.

Except that they did.

Video games DID exist before the 80s. I had one. Bought it in 1976. Bought my second video game system in 1978.

Why is this strange? Lots of things didn't exist in years past. Telephones were entirely different then too. So were televisions, cars, refrigerators, even vacuum cleaners. That's what life IS-- it's change. 

• Lolly

There were other games.....

The first ones actually came out in the '70's, the very first being Pong, which came out in '72. I don't find it strange because I remember when it all happened. I remember back before video games when pinball machines were all the rage. Video games really, really took off in the '80s, though, in arcades and then in home consoles.