Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Computers & InternetHardwareLaptops & Notebooks · 3 months ago

Computer keeps blacking out after I press a button?

This is an old laptop. I’ve never seen anything like this before. Whenever I try to sign in, my laptop blacks out. Please help me. How do I open my laptop?

• Sean K

It’s due to a Windows update. It caused my screen to go black at the login screen. I believe I memorized the keystrokes to revert back to an earlier system restore set point. I can’t recall how exactly. I figured it out using Google. 

I updated Windows again on the Dell and it worked for some reason.

This should set you down the right path to a solution.

Press and hold the power button on your device for 10 seconds to turn it off, then unplug your adapter. After 30 seconds, plug your adapter back in and restart your device. If you're still seeing a black or blank screen, try the steps in Action 2 to check the connection between your device and the monitor or screen.

• keerok

Try booting it through a USB drive or CD/DVD. I recommend Hirens or any version of a Linux Live CD. If the laptop completes booting and can be used normally then your problem is the OS installation on your laptop's hard drive. You may need to reinstall everything from scratch. Before doing so, make sure you copy all your files from the hard drive to another disk. 

If the laptop fails to boot from another source, the problem is the hardware. I suspect your laptop has overheated in the past and parts of the motherboard are now fried. If this is the case, it would be easier and cheaper to just replace the whole laptop already. You can still recover your files by getting the laptop's hard disk out and by connecting it to another computer.

With no clues from you what "Dell" laptop model, what operating system runs it, what happened just before this (virus attack, power failure, update of software, new program loaded, dropped it, or ?), there is no reasonable guess to be made blindly from far away.  Wasted question.  Just do what "Mike G" wrote.

• Mike G

Don't press that button.

its broken, just trash it and get another one