Part 2 of cover songs for today- what is your favourite cover of an obscure song?

Just to clarify a little, if it was a cover of a Beatles or Stones song everyone would know, please don't pick something like that :)

16 Answers

Relevance
  • 5 months ago
    Favorite Answer

I have two that came to mind right away without much thought: Nothing Compares 2 U by Sinéad O'Connor as a cover of Prince's side band The Family's version and later a version he recorded with Rosie Gaines. 

Most folks never heard of The Family's version in 1985 because it was never released as a single and only die-hard fans of Prince were aware of the song. 

Five years later in 1990, Sinéad O'Connor released a cover of Nothing Compares 2 U as a single, which went on to become a monster hit for her. 

While many Prince fans prefer The Family's version and his and Rosie Gaines' version over Sinéad O'Connor's, there's no comparison: Sinéad O'Connor's version is absolutely better. She sang the song with so much emotion--it's just a beautifully done cover.  

In the 1929 movie, Gold Diggers of Broadway, the song Tiptoe Through the Tulips was featured and sung by actor/musician Nick Lucas. Other singers released their covers of the song around the same time with some success. In 1967, another band covered the song, but it wasn't until the following year that the incomparable Tiny Tim released his cover, which would become the most famous version. 

Say what you will about Tiny Tim, but he really did have talent. His voice may have been an acquired taste, but when recorded his album God Bless Tiny Tim, it was a great decision to not only cover Tip-Toe Thru' the Tulips with Me, as he labeled it, but to sing the song with a falsetto voice. Believe it or not, this is a good album, but you have to accept the voice and the ukulele. It takes guts to sing this song, and no one sang it as well as Nick Lucas, the closest was indeed Tiny Tim. 

• 5 months ago

I'll Take Care Of You originally by Bobby Bland in 1959 and covered by Beth Hart and Joe Bonamassa.

• mars
    Lv 7
    5 months ago

"Primitive"- The Cramps. Originally by ('60's Garage-Rock) band The Groupies.

• 5 months ago

RUNNING UP THAT HILL by Kate Bush covered by Placebo

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 5 months ago

Aloha Livin’!

“Girls Just Want to Have Fun” - Cyndi Lauper 1983 (original by Robert Hazard, 1979)

• Binks
    Lv 7
    5 months ago

Hey Livin', This is an Italian band playing one of my favorite King Crimson songs.

Nightwatch - Fracture 

Peace

• Petter
    Lv 7
    5 months ago

I don't know why, but I'm getting a dejá vú feeling here... =)

Septembers version of Eldkvarns "Kärlekens tunga"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7U5ZUP36deI

Youtube thumbnail

• 5 months ago

"Voyage Voyage" by Desireless, coverized by Soap&Skin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CYFvjNSba3g

Youtube thumbnail

• Kurt
    Lv 5
    5 months ago

I like Pearl Jam's cover of J.Frank Wilson's version (1964) of the song "Last Kiss".

• Anonymous
    5 months ago

Nine Inch Nails - Suck

(Thats originally a Pigface song. Link coming soon).

• 5 months ago

That's What Daddy Wants (Wayne Hancock) performed by Ghost Highway

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mXFCFPFIsC0

Youtube thumbnail

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.