Gonzo
Gonzo asked in Entertainment & MusicCelebrities · 2 months ago

Do you think Tom Cruise is a bad actor?

Does he ever research a role instead of playing himself?

• Kathy
    Favorite Answer

I am not a fan of his acting. It could be better.

No, I particularly liked his performance in Rainman.

He has a couple really, really good performances. Jerry Maguire and Rain Man are pretty freaking iconic. I don't find him the most interesting actor in the world to watch, but by no means would I ever say he's a "bad actor". I also don't understand why people associate "playing themselves" or being "the same in every movie" as "bad acting". It's a joke. Most of the silver-screen legends of classic Hollywood that are still idolized today were "the same in every movie". Changing your voice, posture and getting a makeover are NOT the hardest parts when it comes to acting. While the 'chameleon' actors are undoubtedly fascinating, I have a lot of admiration and respect for those that don't feel the need to completely reshape themselves to play a character.

I think a lot of people now associate Tom Cruise with action movies, but he's actually played a wide range of genres and definitely is not always 'playing himself', even if he usually looks/sounds the same.

Edge of Tomorrow, Top Gun, Jerry Maguire, Risky Business, Eyes Wide Shut, Rain Man, Born on the Fourth of July, Interview with the Vampire, Tropic Thunder (lmao) - that's a pretty freaking big variety of roles.

He always plays himself.  But a lot of really great actors have done that.  Cary Grant, for instance.  Walter Brennan.  Doris Day. Humphrey Bogart.

He's good in one particular kind of movie, non-stop action films where the hero is a five-foot-tall, big-talking tough guy.