Doesn't Washington DC have a representative from another state?

Or something similar

7 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 months ago

No, Washington DC isn't part of a state. They have a delegate in Confress of their own but that delegate cannot vote

• MS
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

They have a representative in the House of Representatives who can participate in committees and other discussions, but who cannot vote on the floor of the House (where it really matters).

• 2 months ago

No, it doesn't.  It does have a nonvoting representative of its own, who is from DC and is not from any state.

• 2 months ago

The ridiculous movement to make Washington DC a state is an attempt to add two Black Senators and a Black Representative to Congress.

Better would be to make DC like a US territory for taxation purposes. US territories don't have voting representatives in Congress because they don't pay federal income taxes.  

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • ?
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

From another state? I don't know what that means. Residents of D.C. have no voting representative in the House or the Senate. That's why there's discussion of statehood. It would give those tax payers representation. 

• 2 months ago

I'll assume you mean a representative in Congress.  The answer is no.  Like Puerto Rico, they have a non-voting delegate who can sit on committees but has not voting power in the end.

• Ann
    Lv 6
    2 months ago

Not that I know of.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.