Can an employee get fired for reaching out to a manager through FaceBook?

Just wondering, but is it possible for an employee to get fired for reaching out to a manager through Facebook?

The main reason I'm asking is because I USED to Be able to Explain myself by text message, but Unfortunately I am no longer able to do so. I should Not have to call to explain things because when I do that, I end up getting flustered and teary-eyed where can't talk correctly and they won't be able to understand me.

I'm aware reaching out through FaceBook is Not Professional at all where I'd love to be able to text someone, but unfortunately I'm not able to unless they text me first. At least Text Messaging is STILL a FORM OF COMMUNICATION. Why do I have to Call for Everything now? Honestly, that's stupid in my opinion and I know I'm NOT the only one like this, but I PREFER Explaining things by text message whether it be due to illness or not.

I shouldn't have to call to explain things when it's so much EASIER and FASTER to shoot a quick text message than it would be to Attempt to even explain it over the phone so Facebook is literally my Last Resort in that manner even though I know it's super unprofessional, but now that I can't text openly with my managers like I ONCE USED to be able to do, I feel like I don't have any other choice, but to resort to Facebook.

Never mix business and personal social media. Terrible idea.

• Shadow

Hi Lee-Anne

I'm sorry that you have to go through this but you need to understand that their personal numbers are there (normally) for emergency purposes. I feel your pain as I have encountered situations like this in the past. Unfortunately you need to muster the strength to speak with the manager via a phone call to voice what you need to say.

I know that fear grips you, which causes you to become flustered, due to past events but your manager should be understanding and patient. It will be very difficult and feel impossible to overcome however, you must believe in yourself and know that all will be ok. If the manager shouts at you or makes you cry, take a deep breath and tell yourself that you are ok and all will be ok.

Personally, I would not use FaceBook as it's a social media platform and not really suited for the task and, as you said, it's unprofessional and your manager probably won't appreciate it.

Over time, by taking small steps, it will become easier to speak with them. If you manage to catch them at the right time whereby they are not too busy, not too stressed and in a pleasant mood, it will make it easier. Just try to do three things when you speak with them. Relax, breathe and believe in yourself.

Good luck dear.

• keerok

Facebook is NOT the last resort. That is reserved to face-to-face meeting. Before that comes the legal method - through a letter, you know, the one that comes on an actual piece of paper. Before that again is a phone call but this is reserved if you can not physically go to your manager like when you are in the hospital because an airplane crashed on you. In a strict business environment, text and messages are shunned.

• Daniel

Depends on what was said in the Message In general tho No they cant be Fired just for Reaching out to there Manager on Facebook but if they said something Inappropriate in the Message or something like that then they could get Fired 

• Eva

If they have told you that you have to call, do not use FaceBook.  Write down what you need to say and read it on the phone if you can't talk off the top of your head. There's a reason they've established this policy and you need to follow it no matter how you feel about it. Your manager might not be too happy that you invaded their personal space (boundaries anyone?) if you contacted them on FaceBook.

You sound rather young and immature. If you are old enough to work then you should have social skills to handle such a situation. It is very unprofessional to do what you want to do and yes you could be fired because you are making yourself seem unprepared for the real world. Sending such a message just makes it clear you are not ready to work in the world place. 

• Kyle

why can't you call or leave a voicemail?  a company can let an employee go for virtually any reason, and may not even give the reason why.  it's part of your agreement when you work with an at will employment.