Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsEngagements & Weddings · 2 months ago

No friends for my wedding?

I am getting married next year. My husband to be has a big family and lots of friends (about 30 of the guests) 

I am an only child, I have no aunts, grandparents, uncles or cousins, my dad isn’t around, I’m not close with my fiancé’s family. I have no friends, I’m young and I didn’t have any friends in school, and I’ve only ever worked in jobs with 50-60 year old men so I haven’t made any friends in my workplaces either. I don’t feel as though I need or want friends, it’s been so long since I hung out with anyone that it doesn’t feel weird having no one. But the idea of only having 1 guest at the wedding (my mum) , walking down the isle alone, and no bridesmaids to his 30 + 3 groomsmen is sad / embarrassing. I won’t be having a hens night or anything because I have no one to invite and I won’t have anyone to talk to or dance with or take photos with at my reception which makes me sad. Any advise on what to do? I don’t want to just invite people for the sake of it because they would be strangers to me and I don’t want t lay for the, to eat and drink if I don’t value them but I’m afraid my wedding won’t be fun this way. We can’t elope because his family would be crushed they didn’t get to be there for him. Help! 

Just skip having any attendants and let your intended fill up the guest space with his friends and family. Don't feel the need to invite a bunch of people you don't really care about. 

Try making friends with him family, before the wedding.

A bride who dances with the men in the groom's family would be considered very gracious, I would think.

This is something that should be decided by you and your fiance. It's his wedding too, so he needs to be involved. You need to decide together how to make the wedding something you can both enjoy and feel happy about. 

It's "aisle", not "isle".

• Trish

I don't have any friends to invite either so my FH and I decided to have all the women who are openly interested in him as my bridesmaids.  That way I will have the right ones to chop the heads off the flowers as the tradition goes.  Also,  he is inviting most of the guests and there s a max amount the church holds.  I'm sure your FH will help you determine what you should do.

oh wow... i'd suggest not holding the wedding and just get eloped at the court house. only his parents and your mom can be in the background. no one else.

also, i'd suggest getting closer to his family... because you will be a part of it. that isn't so good that you're not close with them yet you're marrying their family member. it's weird.

He is having 30 groomsmen??? 

Many brides walk down the aisle alone. Or your mom can escort you down the aisle.

You can ask his sister or close cousins to be a bridesmaids. Sounds like you will be with his family a lot, so get to know them. Or you can have your mom stand by you a Matron of Honor.

Or his groomsmen can flank you as a couple on either side. Or he doesn’t have any, and neither do you.  You don’t have to have a wedding party up there with you.  

So you don’t have a hens night, really not a big deal.

Your right, you don’t invite people you don’t know well. 

You talk to his family. You dance with your husband, his father, the groomsmen. You mingle and talk to all the guests.

• I don't have any friends either, but I'm close to my family so they were part of my wedding party as was my husband's friend. 

You could have a small courthouse ceremony and have a reception after that. He can have his family there for the ceremony. You can have your mum there too and she won't have to walk down the aisle alone.  

I had this same problem when I got married last year so I understand where your coming from. You may not be able to have a traditional "Hens night" but you should still go out and have a good time, pamper yourself by going to a spa or something at the very least. Maybe ask your mother to be your bridesmaid?   

I asked one of my husbands groomsmens wives if she would be my bridesmaid. I didnt know her very well at the time but she happily agreed to stand by my side so I wouldnt be alone. 

• Tj

It is your day...you can elope. Have a party after..then you will not feel so bad. Dont do things to please others. Please your self in life.  You need to talk to your future husband. You can also go to court get married and invite your Mom and his parents.