Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Consumer ElectronicsCell Phones & Plans · 2 months ago

Why do you give your kids smartphones before 18?

Do you like being a bad parent? Do you want your child to be prayed upon by perverts? Are you dumb?

Favorite Answer

🥴 Lenient parents.

Where I come from, we're practically Amish like you, with our young.

I got me my own smartphone at 30.

I would give them tablets but not Smartphones. I don't even have a smartphone. I have a tablet.

Ignoring the fact that this is a completely asinine and rhetorical question, some parents actually like to teach their children about technology and act like we live in 2020 and not 2004. Times have changed, gramps. Some parents are willing to monitor their kids' online activity and talk to them like adults about the dangers of the internet insteas of punishing them for not following guidelines that were never communicated to them. Being given access to technology at a young age made me a tech prodigy. Children are very good at learning new things, given the chance. They don't suddenly become wizards from age 17 to age 18 and magically gain the knowledge and responsibility to operate such devices, they have to be taught at some point; it's pretty much a necessity today. 

Source(s): 2020

Anyone with common sense knows how not to get involved with a pedophile. I got my first smart phone at 13 and have avoided several of those situations by using some common sense. 

Kids should get a good mobile phone from age 16 upwards. Until then they should have a basic flip phone to make necessary calls only.

Of course they could have a twin top computer to use safely at home whilst under the watch of parents only. And make sure to turn off the internet at night (and remove the power cord so they can't put it back on).

Because (if I had teenage kids, which I don’t) I’d want them to remain socially connected and learn about the real world, which, in this day and age, is very difficult to do without Internet access. Sheltering a teenager until the age of 18 will do far more harm than good. I do agree that kids under 13 shouldn’t have smartphones or unrestricted Internet access, but why shouldn’t a teenager have a smartphone? By the age of 13, if you raised your kid right, they should be mature enough to know how to use common sense while online and not give out any information to potential predators.

And what’s so magical about the age of 18, anyway? You DO realize that a 16 or 17 year old is old enough to get a job and pay for their own phone, right? Teens that age are also allowed to drive, consent to sex in most states, and even drop out of school in some states. Banning anyone under 18 from the Internet would be totally unrealistic, and isn’t how modern society operates. 

Anyone I would give a smartphone to, would be paying their own bill, so the phone would be a gift on my part. 

Who made YOU an authority? 

If I was a parent (I'm not), I would tell you exactly where to go and by what path. 

Yeah, because no one under the age of 18 can find a way to use the internet if their parents don't buy them a phone. 

They need them for when they go to school cause they might miss the bus or get the wrong bus. Or there could be some kind of emergency. A lot of girls for example wouldn't exactly feel comfortable talking to a teacher about their women problems. There's just lots of reasons that kids need phones.