Averi asked in Food & DrinkEthnic Cuisine · 1 month ago

Would the average (american) person consider a dish with 2 serrano peppers per serving very spicy?

• Alpha

The term "average" is not gong to be the same all across the various regions of the US.  In places such as the southwestern states near the US-Mexico border, there are many people of south and central America descent and in some parts of cities or even counties they represent the average and they have a different idea of what constitutes spicy. But for example in the New England states it would be mostly people of western european descent and they probably would think 2 Serrano peppers is very spicy. Then there are the other ethnic communities such as Thai, Vietnamese, Korean, Indian, Eastern Europeans, Africans, etc. and they are all going to have a different opinion of spicy.

Personally yes. 

I am also not average but I think of folks who take spicy food as some sort of competition to be quite odd and more than a little misguided.

• kswck2

Depends on the individual. I for one do not like very spicy foods. If it is hot enough not to taste it, why do it? 

Hard to say as I am an exceptional American but quite possibly.