How to overcome lower thread that breaks in an old sewing machine?

I sewed using my mother's old sewing machine and the lower thread broke.The Janome machine was bought in the 70s, I think. It has been used for about 15 years.

I brought it to the service center and it was fixed, but not long after that the same problem happened again. I've tried to loosen the bobbin but it didn't work.

Could anybody suggest how to overcome this? Thank you.

Favorite Answer

Take the bobbin out and check the tension.  If you hold the end of the tread and let the bobbin hang, it should lower itself to the floor slowly.  It is falls to the floor, the tension is too loose and if it doesn't move without shaking it, the tension is too tight.  Before putting the bobbin back, clean its race with a tissue with a few drops of sewing machine oil. If the tension is OK and the race is clean, it's probably a problem with the thread.  Older machines are less tolerant of slubs or fluff in the thread.  Try better quality thread - supermarket stuff wrecks bobbins.

Did you also take your Mom's old sewing notions to sew with? 

I'd start by buying new thread. Old thread gets dry and brittle.

Did you take it back to the service center when the problem popped up again? 

Did the tell you what the problem was? What needed fixed?

Loosen the bobbin? Did you mess around the bobbin tension?  This rarely ever needs to be changed. It should of been set properly when you got it worked on. Was the machine completely tuned up?

Are you winding the bobbin with an even speed. Are you sure are putting it in the bobbin casing correctly. Are you catching the bobbin tension when out it in the bobbin case. 

Replace your needle often.  Use the right needle for the fabric. 

I would say call the repair again.  

• Lolly

Did you replace the thread? Old thread breaks.

try thicker thread.