I really don’t understand the concept of death?

I get that once you die; your consciousness is snuffed out and that’s it but I just don’t understand how it affects your perception. Is it like sleep? Is the state you’re in while asleep, what its like when you’re dead? I just don’t know where the energy that runs your neural receptors is converted into. It doesn’t have to be an afterlife. Could it be as simple as lying on your back in the coffin in total darkness like a blind person?

Favorite Answer

It is my considered opinion that there is an afterlife, but it is so chaotic that we return to a physical existence to avoid it.

Our spirits continue to exist, active and aware, between death and the resurrections.  1 Peter 3:18-20; 4:6.  If it were not so, God would have to create new and innocent lives to unfairly reward or punish for what we did.  It wouldn't matter to us; we would have ceased to exist.

• Doug

The truth is that death leads to heaven or hell, and the only way to heaven is through faith in Jesus Christ.

Because we have all sinned against a perfectly holy and righteous God, we all deserve eternal separation from God in hell (Rom. 6:23). However, God loves us so much that He sent His only Son Jesus to die on the cross as our Substitute so we don't have to go to hell. Christ died for our sins, was buried, and rose from the grave three days later (1 Cor. 15:3-4). He gives eternal life freely to anyone who simply believes in Him for it. No one can be saved by doing good works. Salvation is by grace alone through faith alone in Christ alone (Eph. 2:8-9).

"Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that believeth on me hath everlasting life" (John 6:47).

It is like:before you were born.

• BJ

Why did Jesus speak of death as a sleep?

Because a sleeping person is inactive. During deep sleep there is no consciousness of surroundings or the passing of time. There is no pain or suffering.

Similarly, in death there is no activity or activity or consciousness. But the comparison goes further with sleep.

With sleep, one expects to wake up. And that is exactly the hope that the Bible offers for the dead.

This would be the resurrection that Jesus spoke about.

Jesus’ early disciples clearly understood the true condition of the dead. To the followers of Jesus death was a sleep, and the grave a resting-place.

God knows what happens to us when we die, and he has told us that when a person dies, his life ends. Death is the opposite of life.

So when someone dies, his feelings and memories do not keep on living somewhere else.  When we die we can’t see, we can’t hear, and we can’t think anymore.

You must understand the concept of life before you can understand the concept of death. 

The body is just a shell for the soul. The soul is eternal.