Joey asked in EnvironmentGreen Living · 2 months ago

Recycling plastic numbers 1-7?

In my town the only bins for plastic are for 1 & 2 (I’m sure that’s not uncommon since they seem to be the most prevalent), yet the numbers go up to 7 I believe. So any numbers that are 3+ what do I do? Might as well throw them in the trash? Or throw them in with the wrong number just in case they feel like trying?😂

Other numbers can, depending on their size, be used to store certain things.

If they don't want numbers other than 1&2, best to throw the other types in the trash. Otherwise you contaminate the recycling stream with unrecyclable materials that have to be pulled out. Either way, they are discarded. Better to do it yourself then create an issue and cost for the recycler.

Some supermarkets will collect "T-shirt" grocery bags (LPDE, #4). Everything else (other than PETE, #1, and HDPE, #2) is best thrown in the trash unless there is a place that collects all types to make plastic lumber or unless you can repurpose the container yourself. For example, a lot of seeds get started in cottage cheese tubs.

Recycling is bad for the environment. It takes more energy, and produces more poluttion to recycle than it does to make new. Better off putting everything in the trash. Or burning or reporposing for another use